Why We Breathe

Many people take for granted one of the most essential elements for sustaining life... Breathing. We breathe every day of our lives. The human body can last for several days without food, two to three days without water, but the brain can last only about three minutes without air under normal circumstances.

To develop ki it is essential to maintain proper meditation and breathing exercises. This is more challenging than it seems. Since, as a student, one has to learn to remain still in the seated position for long periods of time. The breathing exercises should be done every day. I usually try to take a few minutes in the morning after I awake, before training or teaching a class and before bed time. This helps to get the mind and body synchronized for the task at hand, whether it is getting ready for the day, doing physical work, or sleeping.

Correct Breathing

To begin take a comfortable seated or kneeling position. This can be done directly on the floor or using a meditation mat. Once a comfortable position has been obtained take notice to see that the back is straight and the body is leaning slightly forward of center. This position will help to maximize air flow and keep the body from impinging on itself. Next close your eyes and concentrate on relaxing the body. As you relax, do not make the common mistake of permitting the body to slump over. Be certain that the proper kneeling or sitting position is maintained from beginning until end. Focus your mind on the Dan Tien (the location of the KI repository) located a few inches below the navel. First exhale, with the mouth open to cleanse the body of the current build up of carbon dioxide (the air left over after the body has removed the oxygen). Once the air has been depleted, lean a little more forward (to compress the diaphragm) and exhale a little more, then return to the starting position hold that point for a few seconds (about 5 seconds). Be careful not to make the novice mistake of blowing air out of the mouth as if you are blowing up a balloon. The correct method to exhale is to open the mouth and create a rasping sound. It is sometimes helpful to enunciate the sound "OOOO.....". This will open the mouth naturally and stop the blowing action; Be sure to tighten the throat muscles to control the rate of air release. The slower the air is expelled the better. For the beginner, the exhalation cycle is about 10 - 15 seconds. This will increase upwards to a half minute as the breathing process grows.

Next we must inhale to replenish the body with fresh air. Close your mouth and inhale allowing the air to flow through your nose. Again use your throat muscles to control the rate of your breath. The inhalation cycle, as in the exhalation cycle, should also be done slowly. Once you have inhaled as much as possible from the starting position, lean back slightly to expand the diaphragm and inhale to capacity. Return to the starting position (still holding your breath). Remain at this position for about 5 seconds. To avoid excessive air exhaustion the inhalation cycle should be shorter than the exhalation cycle. The complete cycle should last approximately 2/3 that of the exhalation cycle. In this case that would be 20 to 25 seconds.

Be certain to focus on the Dan Tien through the entire exercise as the purpose is for rejuvenation of the Dan Tien. When the exercise is first approached do not attempt the breathing exercise for a full 20 minutes until the lungs get stronger. Prolonged slow breathing could result in dizziness. Take the process in small steps, increasing the total time by a few minutes every several sessions. Remember it takes years to gain full benefit, if that is even ever possible.

-Breathing for KI, with permission from (Sabunim) Master Michael L. Bird, a dear friend