As yet another editor that was in on the joke, I have my own thoughts on this, but much of it has been said in one way or another by other folks in April Trolls Day, so instead of debating whether people are hurt or we've damaged E2 or what, I'll say this: I had imagined that the prank would be a whole lot more subtle, low-intensity kind of thing. In that light, what we probably should have done is had just a couple of us each sign up for a 1- or 2-hour window of opportunity where our troll account would make an appearance, submit a few dyed-in-the-wool dumb troll nodes, do a little troll dance in the catbox and then get out. I had figured on playing it so that my troll would be just convincing enough that nobody would question that he was anything but a clueless, misguided newbie, and the comedy would come in the dialogue with people not in on the joke trying to straighten him out.

Instead, by the time I logged on ready to do my part, about 10 of us were out swinging hard. ENN was full of conjectures about the sexual exploits of Sophanda Peters, that the database had been taken over by hackers, and Stile-related stuff was flowing through the catbox. We had already peaked, it was only a few hours into April 1 server time, and users were starting to get annoyed.

So I sat out, which was disappointing, but I didn't want to make an out-of-control situation worse. Here's what you missed: A couple of days before I had prepared Indecent Otto1, who was a typical dumbass male noder. My strategy was this: Long ago I singlehandedly embarked on the E2 Editor Ass Project, which involved finding & nuking the chaff mostly leftover from fled E1 users on the operative principle that most of these folks, oddly enough, had at least one writeup with the word "ass". So a simple "ass" search found hundreds of node-auditable users that had some really bad ass (as opposed to badass) writeups.

Here's a couple of examples:

kicks ass by goldilox: "Kicking ass if fun if you are not having your ass kicked. If you like the person who is kicking your ass, it's okay. If you don't like the person, you should do some ass kicking of your own. Donkeys are asses. Do not kick them. That's cruelty to animals."

ass crack deodorant by codehead: "Ass crack deoderant is sprayed on the sphincter area. It is specially formulated to withstand high temperatures and can be used to counteract the olefactory effects of gas as well as reduce the effects of smelly finger syndrome."

You just can't make stuff like that up, so since I'd nuked it long ago & it was all long gone and hopefully forgotten, I figured I'd just start dropping it back in as authentic, dumb noding, and wait for the flood of downvotes and disapproving messages. Since Sophanda et al had gone way beyond that before I even arrived, you were all spared the scatalogical drivel that Otto was going to temporarily inflict on the database, and I just sat back and watched.

I must say that Poop et al deserve an Academy Award of sorts for going at it that hard, if not in an over-the-top way. I think it ultimately backfired when users realized that the lunatics had taken over the asylum -- which in a way is a kind of odd complement for us, since it's our job to make sure that kind of thing never happens. It was, if nothing else, a nice cathartic experience for the Eds/Gods. We work silently and hard to clean up a less caricatured, more pathetic version of this kind of stuff every day so you don't have to wade through it or even see it. After seeing crap like that over and over it gets to you after a while, and you need to blow off steam somehow.

I'm just sorry you had to see us all do it all at once.


1Of this at least I am proud: "Indecent Otto" is a pseudo-anagram of "Content Editor" (less an 'r' that wouldn't fit anywhere). I tried anagramming my own username but couldn't come up with anything that wouldn't look extremely odd as a newbie nic. (Three p's in sockpuppet -- even if you take one out you get "Pesto Puck" or "Stuck Pope", not very satisfying.) I spent most of the time wishing I had The Custodian's nic, which anagrams to any number of wonderful things including:

Suction Death
Nude Shit Taco
Teutonic Dash
Haste Conduit

Any one of which would make a killer noder name, or (almost goes without saying) an excellent name for a rock band.