An excellent dish to try for those of you with an excess of stinging nettle in your yard, or those of you who want to get back to nature. When gathering the nettle, be sure to wear gloves. While you may now be asking yourself "why would I eat a plant that I can't touch with my bare hands?" Here is your answer, better eaten then reproducing in your yard! Anyway, after the nettle is cooked it doesn't sting anymore. However, for those of you who insist on making your own mistakes, keep some burdock leaf handy. If you rub the burdock leaf on the skin that came in contact with the stinging nettles it will bring instant relief.

This dish has a taste very similar to asparagus. Oh, and if you're not an onion fan, I still suggest cooking with the onions because of the flavor. However, to avoid eating the onions, chop them into pieces big enough to avoid with your fork.

Cooked Stinging Nettles
2 to 3 cups boiling water
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh chopped onion
1 pinch sea salt and pepper or lemon pepper
3 cups chopped stinging nettles
butter
fresh lemon or lime juice or vinegar
Bring the water to a boil. Put in the chopped onion and the salt. After the salt is dissolved, add the chopped nettles.
(When you gather them, collect only the top 4-6 inches of YOUNG spring nettles for best results.)
Boil the vegetables until they no longer have their stinging qualities, this will take about 5 minutes. Drain off the liquid. Serve hot and topped with butter, several drops of lemon juice, onions (optional), and season to taste.