In the direction of the rotation of the hands of a clock as veiwed from the front or above; circularly to the right from a point taken as the top.

Classic comedy of 1985 starring John Cleese as a punctuality-obsessed headmaster.

Cleese's character, Brian Stimpson, has been awarded the honour of becoming chairman of a conference of posh schools. He must travel to Norwich to give his address to the assembly. Naturally, nothing goes according to plan. He sets off in the wrong direction altogether. The slapstick action is reminiscent of certain scenes in Fawlty Towers - a certain row with a car in particular. During the disastrous journey which ensues, Stimpson finds himself racing against the clock, trying to avoid the police, losing his voice and losing his clothes. It seems that the whole world is determined to ruin the most important day of his entire life. He does eventually arrive at the conference, a bedraggled wreck.

Written by Michael Frayn. Starring:

Clock"wise` (?), a. & adv.

Like the motion of the hands of a clock; -- said of that direction of a rotation about an axis, or about a point in a plane, which is ordinarily reckoned negative.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.