die is also a perl command that tells the program to exit immediately with the current errno. It takes a list as an argument and prints that list to STDERR on execution.

Inside of an eval, die sets $@ and exits the block.

Die is also the singular name for dice. Don't know why mie isn't the singular name for mice or why hice isn't plural for house.

    Dear Everything2,

    I am writing on behalf of my good friend, the word 'Die.' He's a word you see, so he can't type. He hopes to one day obtain the kind of autonomy that Dai-un had, but for now I'll have to type for him. My friend is very disturbed, and even somewhat hurt over the fact that people are always so mad at him, and insist on viewing him as something bad. You see, according to him, an acceptance of death is nothing other than an affirmation of life. He is also tired of being associated with Windows crashing. He would like to state for the record that he has nothing to do with Microsoft Corporation, or any of its subsidiaries. He also has nothing to do with the cube with dots on it. That die will roll over for anybody.

    He is also tired of all the cut-and-paste writeups that appear in this node. Nobody asked him to use his name. He will give everybody permission to use his name, but he regrets that it was given after the fact. Be grateful. Trust me; you don't want to incur his wrath.

    However, my friend Die is trying to be reasonable. He understands the whole death thing, and the fact that languages have nouns and verbs and all those things, so certain words are tied together. Fine. He is willing to come to grips with the way things are. As a compromise, he would like to see all the facets of his personality appreciated. He has many good things to offer, and, according to your religion of choice, he may also be responsible for your rebirth. As a result of all this, and after eons of careful consideration, he has suggested the following additional uses of his name:
    In general, it is almost as versatile as the word 'poop', another often maligned word. Proponents of the word Die use it daily, and they use it often. The word Die's first major supporter was my dear friend Robert Dowden, who lived in Wright Hall with me, during my freshman year at UConn. On days when he had only afternoon classes, he would still have to get up early to open the Engineering Computer Labs, and on returning to the dorm, he would shout "DIE!" Now, Rob is a big dude. Tall. Large lung capacity. When he shouted "Die!", it reverberated around the dorms in Northwest Quadrangle, waking up anybody that happened to be asleep. When I would hold up the line at the ice tea machine, he would sneak up behind me and shout "Just Die!", which usually resulted in me dropping my tray, thus freeing up the line once more.

    In closing, I would like to state that the uses of Die are many-fold. Use them often, and above all, use them wisely.

    Yours Truly,

    artemis entreri (on behalf of the word Die)
A symmetric object with marked sides. The most common number of sides is six, but especially role-players utilize four- eight- ten- twelve- and twenty-sided dice. 30- and 100 -sided dice are more uncommon, but not unheard of.

A die is normally used to generate a random number, which is in turn used to determine something. Multiple dice are often thrown simultaneously to model more complex random events.

In written text, die rolls are often referred by a simple code: (number of dice) d (number of sides)

For example "3d6" would mean a number generated by rolling three six-sided dice and adding the results togehter.
diddle = D = die horribly

die v.

Syn. crash. Unlike crash, which is used primarily of hardware, this verb is used of both hardware and software. See also go flatline, casters-up mode.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

For an arbitrary die with opposite faces (the tetrahedral four sided dice fails here), it is standard for a dice to have the sum of the numbers on the two faces to be one greater than the sides of the dice. This is true for the cube (d6), octahedron (d8), decahedron (d10 - not a platonic solid but still obeys the rules) dodecahedron (d12), and the icosahedron (d20).

As the cube is the most classic of dice, there are a few more numerical bits in it than just the sum to seven. Looking at a corner of the dice, the numbers go around it counter clockwise:

  ____    ____
 / 1 /|  / 4 /|
+---+3| +---+6|
| 2 | / | 5 | /
+---+/  +---+/
From this, there is only one way to arrange a dice:
    +---+
    | 2 |
+---+---+---+
| 3 | 1 | 4 |
+---+---+---+
    | 5 |
    +---+
    | 6 |
    +---+

On dice that use points (dots) as opposed to the number (most frequently inked on rather than engraved - the engraving process removes some mass and thus causes the dice to be slightly weighted). The 1, 4, and 5 are symmetric, however the 2, 3 and 6 are not. There are a total of 8 possible orientations for these points. The most common one is:

   ________
  /*      /|
 /   *   / |
/      */ *|
--------  *|
|*     |* *|
|      |* /
|     *|*/
--------/

Abstracting the dice out there are certain properties that all dice have:

  • Equal chance of landing on each face
  • All faces must be identical or a mirror image
  • All faces must be placed identically in relation to each other
  • A dice must be convex
From this, the platonic solids clearly fall into these rules, however as any RPGer knows there are other dice.

The most well known of these other dice is the Rhombic Triacontahedron or d30. There are some other interesting versions of dice that are not used such as the Rhombic Dodecahedron which is a d12 made out of rhombic faces rather than pentagonal.

For much more information on the topology of dice that I can't quite get my brain around (and thus would either mangle the information or copy it wholesale - neither of which is good), I highly recommend looking at http://hjem.get2net.dk/Klaudius/Dice.htm where Euler gets invoked and the quest for the d100 is explored.


http://mitglied.lycos.de/jkoeller/dice.htm

Die (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Died (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Dying.] [OE. deyen, dien, of Scand. origin; cf. Icel. deyja; akin to Dan. doe, Sw. do, Goth. diwan (cf. Goth. afdjan to harass), OFries. dia to kill, OS. doian to die, OHG. touwen, OSlav. daviti to choke, Lith. dovyti to torment. Cf. Dead, Death.]

1.

To pass from an animate to a lifeless state; to cease to live; to suffer a total and irreparable loss of action of the vital functions; to become dead; to expire; to perish; -- said of animals and vegetables; often with of, by, with, from, and rarely for, before the cause or occasion of death; as, to die of disease or hardships; to die by fire or the sword; to die with horror at the thought.

To die by the roadside of grief and hunger. Macaulay.

She will die from want of care. Tennyson.

2.

To suffer death; to lose life.

In due time Christ died for the ungodly. Rom. v. 6.

3.

To perish in any manner; to cease; to become lost or extinct; to be extinguished.

Letting the secret die within his own breast. Spectator.

Great deeds can not die. Tennyson.

4.

To sink; to faint; to pine; to languish, with weakness, discouragement, love, etc.

His heart died within, and he became as a stone. 1 Sam. xxv. 37.

The young men acknowledged, in love letters, that they died for Rebecca. Tatler.

5.

To become indifferent; to cease to be subject; as, to die to pleasure or to sin.

6.

To recede and grow fainter; to become imperceptible; to vanish; -- often with out or away.

Blemishes may die away and disappear amidst the brightness. Spectator.

7. Arch.

To disappear gradually in another surface, as where moldings are lost in a sloped or curved face.

8.

To become vapid, flat, or spiritless, as liquor.

To die in the last ditch, to fight till death; to die rather than surrender.

"There is one certain way," replied the Prince [William of Orange] " by which I can be sure never to see my country's ruin, -- I will die in the last ditch." Hume (Hist. of Eng. ).

-- To die out, to cease gradually; as, the prejudice has died out.

Syn. -- To expire; decease; perish; depart; vanish.

 

© Webster 1913.


Die, n.; pl. in 1 and (usually) in 2, Dice (dis); in 4 & 5, Dies (diz). [OE. dee, die, F. d'e, fr. L. datus given, thrown, p. p. of dare to give, throw. See Date a point of time.]

1.

A small cube, marked on its faces with spots from one to six, and used in playing games by being shaken in a box and thrown from it. See Dice.

2.

Any small cubical or square body.

Words . . . pasted upon little flat tablets or dies. Watts.

3.

That which is, or might be, determined, by a throw of the die; hazard; chance.

Such is the die of war. Spenser.

4. Arch.

That part of a pedestal included between base and cornice; the dado.

5. Mach. (a)

A metal or plate (often one of a pair) so cut or shaped as to give a certain desired form to, or impress any desired device on, an object or surface, by pressure or by a blow; used in forging metals, coining, striking up sheet metal, etc.

(b)

A perforated block, commonly of hardened steel used in connection with a punch, for punching holes, as through plates, or blanks from plates, or for forming cups or capsules, as from sheet metal, by drawing.

(c)

A hollow internally threaded screw-cutting tool, made in one piece or composed of several parts, for forming screw threads on bolts, etc.; one of the separate parts which make up such a tool.

Cutting die Mech., a thin, deep steel frame, sharpened to a cutting edge, for cutting out articles from leather, cloth, paper, etc. -- The die is cast, the hazard must be run; the step is taken, and it is too late to draw back; the last chance is taken.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.