It's true. I used to have a canary as a pet, so I know from experience. When I first got LB, she (or he, I was never positive of my canary's sex and didn't want to check) the bird cage was in the hallway next to a big mirror and in the morning when I took the cover off of her cage (I needed to cover the bird cage with a big sheet at night, otherwise she would never fall asleep), LB would fly around a bit, stretching out her wings and then notice the canary in the mirror and get really, really upset. She'd tweet and twitter and puff herself up into a big, orange ball of feathers to try to scare the mirror bird away (maybe she was a boy) and when that didn't work she'd angrily try to attack and crash into the side of the cage. She only did it for two or three days because, my mom made me put up a scrap of wallpaper between the bird and the mirror, but that's why I think that holding up a mirror to a little bird is mean.

Oh, don't even get me started on those stupid little birds. There was one bird around five years ago that must have had its nest in a tree right by the kitchen window, which was rather large. Every day, starting at 6 AM, all we'd hear was:

BONK. BONK. BONK. BONK. BONK BONK BONK BONK BONK.

...until around midnight as the stupid little piece of crap tried to mate with the window. We pondered why the damn bird didn't die from hitting its head against the window as hard as it was, and decided that it was because the bird actually had no brain at all.

We tried everything. We taped big 'X's over the windows in the hope it would ruin the reflection, but that damn bird just picked away at the tape and went on bonking. We went outside with baseball bats and tried to swat the thing or at least discourage it. We tried finding its nest, but the bugger must have known what we were up to and hid it real well.

Finally, someone told us to get an inflatable owl and stick it outside the window. We were skeptical, but at thie point we would have drawn pentagrams and sacrificed a llama if it would have meant getting a decent night of sleep. Lo and behold it actually worked, and we didn't see the bird for weeks.

Until the owl got hit by something and deflated.

Five minutes later...

BONK.

Ah, the sound of a little bird bonking against a window or mirror, in love with it's own reflection....

BONK, indeed.

Unfortunately I have been known to go through the human equivalent of this state. It is very embarrassing and humiliating. From time to time I will become enamored with a certain type of person. This type of person will generally be bright and shiny...I think of them as mirror-people. They do have some substance underneath, of course, but for some reason, when the two of us are mixed together, their reflective qualities become dominant and I become like the stupid bird trying to mate with its own reflection in the window...

BONK.

Enthralled, I throw myself at this relationship. 'We' have long, intense, fully-involved interactions. I become infatuated, amazed that I have found another soul so much like my own! And, like the window, the other person has no idea what is going on between 'us'.

BONK BONK!

I realize this is a type of psychological projection; I guess I have been fortunate that the two people I have had this happen with had no desire to hurt or haunt me and we remained friends after my misconceptions regarding our 'relationship' were revealed by some particularly annoying emotional outburst on my part.

...Which is why I had to laugh; BONK pretty much sums the whole experience up.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.