Kate Winslet, my favorite actress at the moment, is a beautiful young woman who is not like the other young women of hollywood that you just want to feed. She has been described by the critics and tabloids alike as England's Rose, not to be confused with the former Princess Diana. Her full name is Kate Elizabeth Winslet and she was born on October 5, 1975 in Reading Berkshire, England. I first saw her in Sense and Sensibility and was immediately drawn to her talent and beauty, the next movie I watched was Heavenly Creatures and that movie still disturbs me greatly.

"I know what do with mother..."
"Mario Lanza!"
"Deborrah!"
~~ Heavenly Creatures

Not including the fact that it was a true story. My favorite role to date of hers has to be Sue Bridehead in Jude the Obscure directed by Michael Winterbottom. Here she goes through many emotions and her portrayal of the character is superb!

Born into a family of thespians, her parents Roger and Sally were both stage actors, grandparents Oliver and Linda Bridges ran the Reading Repertory Theatre, and uncle Robert Bridges was a fixture in London's West End theatre district. Winslet is known for her mischievous pranks and family devotion. She has two sisters, Anna Winslet and Beth Winslet both actresses, and a brother, Joss. Kate came into her talent at an early age. At the age of 11 she landed a gig dancing opposite the Honey Monster for a cereal commercial. Her first big break came at the age of 17 when she got the role of an obssessive adolescent Juliet Hulme, in Heavenly Creatures. She married James Threapleton on November 22 1998, whom she met on the set of Hideous Kinky, the couple had a daughter, Mia, on October 12, 2000. Before she was married she dated Rufus Sewell, and Stephen Tedre from 1991 to 1995, he died of cancer near the end of filming Titanic.

She has not been in a lot of movies, but she first gained notice in her role as Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility which she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Oscar. Since then she has been nominated for many roles, but she recieved international fame when she starred as Rose DeWitt Bukater in James Cameron's Titanic opposite Leonardo DiCaprio. Her Best Actress nomination for her role in Titanic made her the youngest actress to recieve 2 Oscar nods. Soon she was offered many leading roles, such as Gwyneth Paltrow's character in Shakespeare in Love which she refused so she could do Hideous Kinky, and she also refused the role of Cate Blanchette's character in Elizabeth, and Jodie Foster's character in Anna and the King to film Holy Smoke opposite Harvey Keitel. Kate Winslet likes to choose the more independent films that big commercialized ones, and likes to take the role of the more devilish damsels than pretty girl roles. She is also known to be primarily a period actress, as she has only been in a few films set in modern day. And like Helena Bonham Carter you will usually find her in a corset.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.