Eastern European country bordered by The Baltic Sea, Lithuania, Belarus, Ukraine, Slovakia, The Czech Republic, and Germany. Exporter of vodka (see Wyborowa) and immigrants to the United States, especially Chicago. Exporter of Christianity to Lithuania. Exporter of Pope John Paul II to The Vatican, a.k.a. The Holy See.

Rzeczpospolita Polska, commonly known to English-speaking people simply as "Poland".

Geopolitical: Composed of 16 voivodships (provinces) (as of January 1, 1999, replacing the previous 49 voivodships). Each voivodship is governed by a voivod, appointed by the central government.
    The Voivodships of Poland:
  1. Kujawy-Pomorze
  2. Lodz
  3. Lower Silesia
  4. Lubelskie
  5. Lubuskie
  6. Malopolska
  7. Mazovia
  8. Opolskie
  9. Podkarpacie
  10. Podlasie
  11. Pomerania
  12. Silesia
  13. Swieto-krzyskie
  14. Warmia-Mazury
  15. Western Pomerania
  16. Wielkopolska
Power structure: Executive (President), Legislative (Parlaiment), and Judicial branches. The President appoints a Council of Ministers.

Geographically speaking Poland consists of mainly of flat farming country. This land is located between the Baltic Sea in the north, the Odra and Neisse Rivers in the west, the Carpathian Mountains in the south, and the city of Brest in the east.

Though excellent for farming the flat countryside has also made it easy for armies to invade Poland over the last two centuries. Poland was partitioned between the nations of Prussia, Austria, and Russia during the late 18th century. It reappeared after World War I, though much reduced in size. It recovered a lot of lost territory in what is today Byelorussia and Ukraine during the Russo-Polish War of 1920. Poland was again partitioned just 19 years later by agreement between the Soviet Union and Nazi Germany.

The destruction of World War II was followed by 54 years of Soviet rule. This came to an end as a result of free election held in 1989 where the opposition, meaning new candidates that did not already have a seat, won 99 out of 100 seats in the Senate, and 160 out of 161 seats in the Sejm. Solidarity leader Lech Walesa negotiated for the free elections.

The E2 guide to Poland



Several facts


Capital City

Other cities and towns

Regions

Historical figures

Notable Poles

Government & Politics

  • Sejm - the lower house of parliament

Culture

Language

History

Geography

Food and Drinks

Misc




Errors, addtions, and ommisions -->> /msg sauron

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.