The New York City MTA is now testing new experimental subway cars. There's a new number 2, and a new number 6 crawling around. I finally managed to get one ride on each, and I feel the need to let everyone know: they're awesome. They rock. I can't stop talking about them. They tried the same thing a few years ago (it was a 2 and an E then, I believe), everybody thought they were cool, and then poof...just like that...they were gone. These new ones are even better designed than the first round (which was probably the idea). I can't stop talking about it, so I might as well node it. So: a review of the new experimental NYC subway cars. This is all from memory; I'll write/revise more if I ever get on one again; as it was I rode the 6 way past my stop just to check it out more.

The Seats

The first thing you notice is that the seats are powder blue. Not that sickly, candy-ass powder blue that makes you think of, well, I dunno, candy-ass powder blue stuff, but a vibrant, glossy, cool blue, like wet paint frozen into a chair. It's enticing. It makes you want to sit down.

To truly appreciate this, you need to have experienced the current nightmare that is the MTA subway seat. Since the earliest subway ride that I can remember, subway seats have been long smooth benches, painted sort of dark steel-gray, mostly flat but slightly ergonomically curved. Those seats are still in use in many of the older red subway cars. But some time ago, one of the design geniuses at the MTA decided that the subway should have bucket seats, and that they should be the color of yellow and orange tupperware. Even a cursory look around a crowded subway platform will reveal that not everyone's ass in New York is the same size, so you often end up sitting on the large uncomfortable plastic hump between two seats. Besides, nobody looks good sitting on orange tupperware, especially dirty orange tupperware. As it turns out, everyone looks stunning against powder blue.

The same seats have a dramatic, futuristic sort of swoop to them, forcing you to really sit back. It's immensely comfortable.

The Floor

The floor on most current subway trains is a sort of light brown linoleum, like the tile in the hallway of your old junior high school. It always looks dirty, even when it's clean; presumably this keeps you from noticing when it is actually dirty. The floor of the new cars is black, with an understated speckle pattern of dark, cool colors, like muted color confetti. This does a particularly nice job of offsetting--and complimenting--the powder blue seats.

The Design

Consider for a moment the problem of designing the interior of a subway car: there are peak times during rush hours where the car may be filled to capacity, and other times where the car may be mostly empty. Humans pack better standing up, but they also like to sit down if possible. So on the ends of the car there are smaller bench seats that can flip up if the subway is crowded, or down if it isn't (they are mildly springloaded to rest in the up position I think, but I didn't get to test this). This is a superbly flexible design, and it would be a stroke of innovative genius were it not for the fact that the London Underground has had this feature for years. The internal layout looks roughly like this (you're going to have to use your imagination a bit, especially for the cool colors):

+-----{Door}--------------{Door}--------------{Door}-----+
|{FB}       { Bench Seat }      { Bench Seat }       {FB}|
^                  *                   *                 ^
|                                                        |
v                  *                   *                 v
|{FB}       { Bench Seat }      { Bench Seat }       {FB}|
+-----{Door}--------------{Door}--------------{Door}-----+

Here "FB" stands for a flip-up bench. One of them would be omitted if this was a conductor car, in the usual way.

Another nice thing they have done is to eliminate many of the metal poles that used to run down the center of the long axis of the car. They were originally meant to provide things to hold on to during acceleration, etc., so you don't spill your Starbucks sweet skinny goats milk double latte on they guy next to you who is trying to read the Wall Street Journal as the train lurches out of Grand Central. This functionality is replaced by a bar that runs along the ceiling, plus poles that run ceiling to floor (marked with * above) at the center of the cool blue benches. The pole bends into the center of the car and back again, so there's more pole to grab and it reaches people in the center. Near the doors there is an array of slanted metal bars that bookend each of the benches, so people riding near the doors have lots to hold on to, and don't have to scramble for something to hold. More good design.

The Route Guide and other Niceties

By far the most useful addition is the simplified route guide. At about head height above the bench seats there is a stretched out version of the route left to right, with stops clearly labelled and transfer points arranged top-to-bottom below them. The stops that remain light up so there is a visual metaphor for where you are, and how much of the route is left. As you are pulling into the station, the current stop blinks.

Additionally, up top by the near and far doors are crisp LCD displays that flash information: the current time, the next stop, etc. So even if the route map is far away you still can look up from anywhere in the car and know where you are and where you are going.

The Ride

I couldn't tell if the car itself was different or it was just an old car refitted with a new interior and some outside mods, but I sure could tell the difference in the ride. You no longer lurch ker-CHUNK out of the station as the train starts to move; there's a gentle hum and you sort of glide. The ride is much smoother, even on the Lexington (6) line which has a couple of nasty bends to it, especially around 34th Street.

Voice Queues

The public address system on many of the older trains seems only marginally better than two cans and a string. Subway riders are used to having the subway stop between stations without explanation, waiting for what seems like forever and then hearing: "This is static static static major service outage static static static FEEDBACK (ow!) moving in (something unintelligible that sounded like 'pastrami')" over the P.A. This is no more.

Station stop announcements are recorded and automatic: 'The next station is....Bleecker Street'. A nice male voice (sorry, not James Earl Jones) announces the stops as you arrive and the next one as you leave, and a female voice announes possible transfers.

Overall, I left the cars hugely enthusiastic about their design. Who knows whether this is the final cut, or how long before riders start to see new cars in any number if it is. But they're cool. And they're coming. So get psyched.


Update: I found a couple of pictures (thanks to perdedor /msg-ing the site to me, which btw is an excellent resource for all things NYC Subway). Go to:

www.nycsubway.org/slides/r142/r142a-int-03.jpg

A nice view showing almost everything I talked about, including the route guide on the upper right. A longer view is:

www.nycsubway.org/slides/r142/r142a-int-02.jpg

So I was slightly incorrect about the center poles: one remains by each of the far doors, but the annoying ones in the center of the seat area are removed.

Earlier this summer I was heading toward Bryant Park to catch The Maltese Falcon. I'd heard that these new subway trains were going to be rolled out shortly, but had yet to see one. (Years ago, as mentioned by sockpuppet, I'd seen one of the test cars at 34th Street, on the E line. Sadly, I was late for work and the train was heading uptown so I couldn't hop on as I so wanted to.)
As we pulled in to the Brooklyn Bridge station on the 4 line, I saw one of the newer trains on the local track. I immediately transferred, even though the trip would be longer. Much to my surprise it was the first of the new trains! Several news people with cameras and such were in the next car, interviewing riders about the redisgn. But that was what impressed me most, off the bat - the windows between cars! In the older trains, you could only peer into the next car through a small window in the door that leads between cars. The newer models include windows on either side of this door, allowing a clear line of sight and making the train feel more spacious.

Otherwise, everything was as mentioned above. As a frequent rider of the 4/5/6 line, I hope to more of them soon - to date I've only been on them twice. That initial ride, and then, more recently I rode on one of the special Subway Series cars on the 4 line. It too was of the new design, but plastered with Yankees' and Mets' logos - much better than the aforementioned Dr. Zizmor though a bit overdone. :)

Some clarifications:

The new cars being described in this node are the R-142 and R-142A series, and they are NOT experimental. The experimental cars were the R-110A and R-110B trains, which debuted in the early 90s. There was only one train set of each of those and their purpose was to test the new technologies and features that would be rolled out on a new generation of cars, of which the R-142s are a part, hence the 'experiment'.

The 142 order is huge, enough to retire all of the 'redbirds'. They are not an experiment but the fruits of an experiment.

Also, some of them are built by Bombardier, specifically the R-142 series, while the R-142A series is Kawasaki.

Another result of the R-110 experiment is the R-143 order, of which only one trainful has been delivered. The 143s are the counterparts to the IRT 142s built to BMT/IND dimensions and will probably see service on the L, J and M Trains beginning within the next year.

Here are some ways in which the R-142s differ dramatically from previous generations of NYC subway cars:

- Extremely bright interiors with some full spectrum recessed lighting
- Full windows and sliding double doors between cars
- Quieter and smoother air-suspended ride with computer-controlled balance
- Clear automated station announcements
- Lighted maps that show the train's position
- Scrolling interior LED displays of the next station, time, etc..
- Large exterior LED displays of route number and destination
- Non-pastel color scheme
- Full conductor and motorman's cabs with touch screen operation
- No half cabs at each car end
- Suspended bench seats with room for bag storage underneath
- Wider entryway doors for easier crowd flow that are impossible to pry open
- Fewer vertical poles in the middle of the car cluttering things up
- A bar suspended from the ceiling for easy 'straphanging'
- Squared car shape for more room
- Flip-up seats for more standing room in peak periods
- scratch-free plexi-glass

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.