Yes I know there are plenty of variations on this.. but they all have roughly the same idea.

Footprints

Last night I had a dream.
I had a dream that I was walking along a beach with the Lord.
Across the sky flashed scenes from my life. For each scene
I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand.
One belonged to me, the other belonged to the Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand
and noticed that many times along the paths of my life,
especially at the lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.
This really troubled me so I asked the Lord about it.

"Lord, You said once I decided to follow You,
You'd walk with me, all the way. But I've noticed that
during the saddest and most trouble-some times of my life
there was only one set of footprints and I don't understand why,
when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

The Lord replied, "My precious child,
I love you and would never leave you.
During your times of suffering,
when you could see only one set of footprints,

it was then that I carried you."

- Anonymous

Footprints is not just a poem about God / Jesus. It is also:
  • A song by Wayne Shorter. It is a twelve bar blues piece in C minor. It has three features that make it slightly more interesting than the usual 12-bar blues:
    1. It's in 3/4 time (as opposed to 4/4 time, in which most blues are written).
    2. The two dominant chords in the head are sub V's. So instead of the usual Ab7 and G7, we have D7 and Db7.
    3. The bassline is interesting: In the change to Fm, the root remains C, and the bass outlines a Fmsus4/C chord, but it still sounds like Fm7, because of the bluesy context.
    Footprints originally appeared on Miles Smiles, a Miles Davis album. Wayne Shorter recently (2002) released an album called Footprints Live, which features this song. It has also been recorded by numerous other artists.
  • Me
  • Further research has revealed there is an online soap opera called Footprints at http://footprints.4mg.com/ I am not a critic, but it appears to suck ass.
  • There is a Footprints dotCom, not located at www.footprints.com in which there is something called paper tole, which may be some kind of art, as they call themselves paper tole artists. Until someone explains to me why it's an art form, I'll just assume that they are a bunch of wankers.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.