A pylon is a pyramid-shaped marker used by construction workers, the police, movie crews and other civic nuisances as well as sports and recreation organizations to designate a path for traffic to flow or to show a boundary.

They can range anywhere in size from six inches to nearly three feet in height depending on their use and are usually bright orange in colour. Pylons are most commonly seen on roads and highways when there is roadwork being done.

Generally, large pylons dictate areas where you should not drive. They will not cushion or prevent you from you from encountering whatever lies beyond them, however they are visible enough for everyone to see so nobody drives near them. Smaller pylons however, can be driven over and do not represent great danger.

I like it when people ignore pylons when the roads are being painted.

Pylons make excellent horns if you buzz your lips through the narrow end of the cone, although it is best not to use pylons that are utilized outdoors for this purpose.



I have heard and used the word Pylon in a colloquial form before. It is used to describe a person who is not very bright, so to speak.

A vernacular, american southern term for the vertical wooden sticks that keep any structure out of the ocean, i.e. a pier, bridge, or beach house.

A Pylon is a device in the fictional 3rd person strategy game Starcraft by Blizzard Entertainment. They are a key building for the Protoss race. Warping in a Pylon will allow probes(the key Protoss constuction unit) to warp in other buildings within a certain radius of the pylon. Pylons also provide a boost of 8 P.S.I. per pylon built. P.S.I. Is the number that limits the amount of men you may have created any time. Creating more pylons allows you to maintain a larger army.

Py"lon (?), n. [NL., fr. Gr. &?; a gateway.]

(a)

A low tower, having a truncated pyramidal form, and flanking an ancient Egyptian gateway.

Massive pylons adorned with obelisks in front.
J. W. Draper.

(b)

An Egyptian gateway to a large building (with or without flanking towers).

 

© Webster 1913


Py"lon, n.

1.

A tower, commonly of steelwork, for supporting either end of a wire, as for a telegraph line, over a long span.

2. (Aëronautics)

(a)

Formerly, a starting derrick (the use of which is now abandoned) for an aëroplane.

(b)

A post, tower, or the like, as on an aërodrome, or flying ground, serving to bound or mark a prescribed course of flight.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.