Revolutionary Girl Utena is the best shoujo (in my opinion) anime that I've ever seen. Normally, most shoujo stuff is reserved for (as it's name implies) girls. However, this is one series that manages to cut across the gender lines and entertain almost everybody. Like Tilyrna said though, although it can entertain everybody, there are many incestual and homosexual themes that some people will simply not like. If you've never seen any anime, or you've seen a lot, this is definitely something not to be missed.

The characters and surrealism are what make Revolutionary Girl Utena incredible. The characters are both very original and deeply enmeshed in a web of relationships. After seeing this all the way through, along with the movie, I don't think I've ever seen another character quite like Anthy. The surrealism of the entire show adds a certain bizarre yet endearing quality to everything that goes on. The movie takes that a huge step further and goes over the top with it.

The music also makes this series. From the J-pop introduction and ending, to the dueling songs with random English words that make no sense, to even the quasi-death metal pre-duelling song, the music of Utena is something to speak of. Not only are the full songs both relevant and appropriate when they are used, but there is also intermittant (and appropriate) piano playing and ambient music that adds a lot to the series.

Episode Synopsis Listing:

The Student Council Saga (Episodes 1-13) The Black Rose Saga (Episodes 14-24) The Ohtori Akio Saga (Episodes 25-33) The Apocalypse Saga (Episodes 34-39) Characters: Miscellaneous: