My friends and i tramped through old forests for a couple hours until we came upon a large house on the side of a lake. the house was old, almost victorian. it was a couple stories tall and still furnished but the occupants were nowhere to be found.

we entered the house and made ourselves at home. this seemed completely natural - dreams are funny like that. in some rooms of the house there were little buttons that, when pressed, would make the wall open up to reveal secret rooms - vaguely quake-like. sometimes these secret rooms would have Horrible Demons or ghosts in them, who would promptly kill whoever had opened the door to the room. Anyone who got killed just reappeared back at the front door to the house. again, very videogame-y.

So as we explored the house, we gradually came to realize there were 3 ghosts in the house. one was an older woman, who, when we saw her, was invariably trying to kill us or summoning the horrible demons to kill us. the second was a pretty girl around my age (early 20's), who would appear briefly and lead us to various places in the house where we would find interesting things - pictures of the 3 people when they were alive, diaries, notes, and so on. the third was an older man who didn't do much of anything, but occasionally we caught glimpses of him. he looked extraordinarily sad.

as we further explored the house, with help from the girl ghost, we learned that the 3 ghosts were originally a family who had lived in the house. the climactic moment of the dream came when, in a study upstairs, i found a kitchen knife hidden behind a bookcase. it had dried blood and dust all over it. somehow, a sudden insight told me what all the things the girl ghost had been leading us to had meant - that the mother had gone mad killed the rest of her family and then herself - as i thought this, i heard the girl ghost whisper "yes..."

apparently the family was doomed to haunt the house until the truth about what had happened to the family was made public. the mother didn't want this known, and so she killed everyone who came in the house. all the girl and the father wanted was to be freed and to rest. the father had long since given up hope.

i walked into a sunroom on the west side of the house, and the girl ghost was there... she looked different.. she was almost flirtacious. she led me whimsically from place to place in the room... after a few minutes chasing her, i heard a strange noise.. i realized that it wasn't the girl at all, but her mother. she had somehow changed her form.. a great mass of laundry flowed/wriggled into the room like a nest of snakes. i was engulfed, strangled, struggling to break free.. insane laughter filled the room.. all went dark..

..and that's when i woke up.