The Beginner's Overview of The Tarot:

I. Introduction to the Tarot
II. The Major Arcana
III. The Minor Arcana
IV. How to Read Tarot Cards
V. Bonding with the Cards
VI. Tarot Spreads
VII. Tarot Reference Works

 

VI. Tarot Spreads:

 

1) Celtic Cross:
One of the most basic spreads is the Celtic Cross or the 10 Card Spread. The card layout is a 4 point celtic cross with a vertical line to its right side.

http://atomicpink.masukomi.org/celticcross.jpg

The card positions:

Card 1: Present Position:
Current atmosphere influencing the questioner. Stands for the questioner.

Card 2: Immediate Influence:
Shows the influences and obstacles that lay just ahead.

Card 3: Goal or Destiny:
Shows the ultimate goal or destiny of the questioner, as well as current ideals. It indicates what can be accomplished based on the existing circumstances.

Card 4: Distant Past:
Shows the events and influences which existed in the distant past that are the foundation of the present events. These influences are embodied within the questioner.

Card 5: Recent Past Events:
Indicates that which recently came into being.

Card 6: Future Influence:
Represents what will come into being in the near future.

Card 7: The Questioner:
Denotes the questioner in their present position or attitude. This card places the questioner in proper perspective.

Card 8: Environmental Factor:
Shows how the questioner influences other people, as well as how other people and factors affect him/her.

Card 9: Inner Emotions:
Shows the hopes, emotions, desires and fears of the questioner. This card may also reveal secrets and motives which the questioner keeps from others.

Card 10: Final Results:
Indicates the likely culmination and result, provided events and influences continue as indicated.

 

2) Horoscope Spread:
This spread uses the aspects of life and their houses as well as the signs that govern them. Also called the Zodiac Spread.

http://atomicpink.masukomi.org/horoscope.jpg

The card positions:

First House (Aries): Personality, outward appearances, interests and attitudes.

Second House (Taurus): Money matters, financial situation, material possessions.

Third House (Gemini): Communication, relationships with brothers and sisters, travel.

Fourth House (Cancer): Birth and death, home life, mother and father.

Fifth House (Leo): Love, children, creativity.

Sixth House (Virgo): Health, service.

Seventh House (Libra): Relationships, partnerships, contracts, and agreements.

Eighth House (Scorpio): Outside influences, death, inheritance.

Ninth House (Sagittarius): Search for truth, long journeys, dreams, spiritual growth.

Tenth House (Capricorn): Career, profession, ambitions.

Eleventh House (Aquarius): Friends, associations, hopes, fears.

Twelfth House (Pisces): Unconscious mind, self-undoing, limitations.

 

3) Yes/No Spread:
For the times when you need only a simple yes or no, all you have to do is shuffle your cards, and think of your question. Then count out the cards, stopping when you get to the thirteenth card. Turn that one face up. Repeat this until you have gone through the entire deck and have 6 face up cards. Count the number of cards that are in the upright positions. If four to six cards are upright, the answer is yes. If two to four cards are upright, the question is is leaning in your favor but is not a definite yes. If less that two cards are upright, the answer is no.

 

4) Trinity Spread:
This is called the Trinity Spread because it makes use of the number of life, 3. Use only the Major Arcana and the Court cards. Shuffle and lay the cards out from right to left as shown:

http://atomicpink.masukomi.org/trinity.jpg

Allow the cards to fall upright or reversed as they come up. Vertically, the lines represent, from top to bottom, Future, Present, and Past. Horizontally, the columns stand for Emotions, Thoughts, and Actions from left to right. The tenth card at the very top stands for the Integration of the nine cards below it.

Emotions:
This category includes feelings, impulses, inspirations, and intuitions, as well as the things that manifest themselves in our dreams from deep inside our unconscious. Hopes and fears belong here too, as do urges and right-brain thinking. These cards give insight into the influences driving our emotions. If Court cards turn up, consider whether they represent aspects of yourself or of others with which you are involved.

Thoughts:
Here are your rational, logical, analytical mental processes-the way we judge and assess, quantify, qualify, and justify. This is where our left-brain thinking is depicted, for most of us is the dominant driving force behind our decision making.

Actions:
This category reveals how we translate our emotions and thoughts into something tangible.

Integration:
This single card represents forces that could come into play and affect the picture revealed by the lower nine cards. it can reveal positive or negative energies. Remember that when negatives appear, they give us a chance to learn, change, and rectify.

 

5) Eliphas Levi Wheel:
Eliphas Levi didn't invent this spread, but it is based on his Tarot Wheel. To do this spread, compose a question. Take the Major Arcana only and shuffle. Draw five cards at random, one at a time, and lay them down like this:

http://atomicpink.masukomi.org/eliphaslevi.jpg

Card 1: Present Situation:
Forces and influences immediately affecting the question. Consider people, thoughts and feelings, events and circumstances.

Card 2: Waning Influences:
Obstacles that have been overcome, aid that has come to an end, changes in emotion, energy, outlook, goals, and such.

Card 3: Hidden or Unconscious Influences:
What we repress or fail to recognize does not disappear, but finds other ways of expression. Here, we find the stuff that usually surfaces in dreams; yearnings, fears, desires, our deepest and darkest secrets. These are fragments floating in a sea of our unconscious, waiting to be reintegrated into our waking lives.

Card 4: Emerging Influences:
New factors looming on the horizon. Again, consider people, thoughts, feelings, events and circumstances.

Card 5: Synthesis:
What is needed to reconcile and unify the other four factors.