This morning I finally made a lot of progression in solving one of the problems we have here at work with a scheduling program. Normally, a certain action took about 25 seconds. Since this has to be done hundreds of times every day, it would save a lot of time if we could speed it up. Also, the people who are using the program were annoyed by it, since they had to wait a while whenever they were working with that program. So for the past few days, I've been digging through the source codes, looking for a way to speed it up.
And I did it. It now takes less then 3 seconds for that certain action, which took 25 seconds. I removed some redundant pieces of code, but that didn't really make a spectacular difference. Then I found an SQL-statement which I thought could be a lot faster, so I rewrote it. The results were far from bad. The procedure is over 20 seconds faster now.

The rest of the day I've been testing it on the test database, to make sure it really really really works fine. And It does. Now all we have to do is wait for approval to implement it in the production database, which will probably be next Monday.

Around lunchtime, I received a phonecall from a friend of mine. She wanted to tell me a few things. First of all, she now had internet access at home (before that she always used to email me when she was at school), and secondly, she had a new boyfriend. I congratulated her, we chatted a bit more, and before I knew it, it was half an hour later. It reminded me that most women keep talking on the phone about all sorts of things, men don't say more then necessary. I'm somewhat blessed that my girlfriend has a bit of a phobia for phones. However, it would be nice if she called a bit more often.

Besides the above mentioned things, I haven't really done a lot here at work. I've been surfing the web a bit, read most of the new nodes here at E2, and listened to some cds. My music selection here at work for today is the Demons & Wizards album, Tool: Ænima, Krezip: Nothing Less, Blaze: Silicon Messiah, Helloween's new album The Dark Ride, and one the new discs by the Insane Clown Posse: Bizaar (one of the two new discs from their album Bizzar Bizaar).

I can't wait to go home, since I have a light headache, and I still have a few DVD's at home that I haven't watched yet. So I think I'll be watching a movie tonight, and chat a bit on IRC with a few friends and my girlfriend, then go to sleep to rest a bit. I've got a meeting tomorrow, so I have to be awake.