Cane Toads - Bufo marinus

Description and Distribution

Cane Toads are very large and heavily built amphibians (up to 15 cm long) with warty skin. Females tend to be larger and smoother-skinned than males. They are olive-brown to reddish-brown on top, with a paler white or yellowish belly. The underside is usually flecked with brown.
Their most distinctive features are bony ridges over each eye and a pair of enlarged glands, one on each shoulder. These glands ooze Cane Toad venom.
The call of the male Toad is a high-pitched "brrrr" which sounds like a telephone dial tone.
They were introduced to Australia in 1935 at Gordonvale, North Queensland. Since then they have expanded their range to include about half of Queensland. They have spread to the Northern Territory and New South Wales, and there are fears that they may soon colonise areas of the Kakadu National Park. Occasionally individuals have shown up as far south as Sydney. It appears that these have been carried south, in plants for example, and there is no evidence of a breeding population here.

Diet

Like all frogs, they are primarily insect feeders. However, they will attack anything that moves and is small enough to fit in their mouths. Their diet includes small lizards, frogs, mice and even younger Cane Toads. They have also been known to steal food from dog and cat bowls.

Behavior and Breeding

They are highly adaptable, both in terms of survival and reproduction. They are much more tolerant than other Australian frogs of variations in water salt content, and can survive and breed in brackish water.
Because their diet is so variable, they don't need to expend much energy searching for food. They can just sit in a convenient spot, and gobble up anything that wanders by. In urban areas, they are often seen gathered around street lights eating insects attracted by the light.
They need only a small pool of water for breeding. A female toad can produce vast quantities of eggs, up to thirty thousand a month. The males fertilise the eggs as they are laid in long strands. Males will attempt to mate with anything resembling a female toad - living or dead.
In three days the eggs hatch into small (3 cm) jet black tadpoles - unlike those of any native frog. These tadpoles become toadlets unusually early, so they are out of the water and hopping around faster than most other frogs.

Cane Toad Venom

One of the most important factors in the success of the Cane Toad is that they are highly poisonous to eat, at every stage of their life cycle.
All frogs and toads may have enlarged chemical-secreting glands at particular points on their bodies, of small glands spread over the whole skin. The chemicals they produce are highly varied, and in some cases may be highly toxic. The Cane Toad is one such amphibian. A Cane Toad's reaction to a threat is to turn side-on to its attacker so that the venom glands face them. Cane Toad venom is also found all over their skin. Animals picking up a Cane Toad and receiving a dose of venom may die within fifteen minutes.
The glands on the Cane Toads' shoulders are also capable of oozing venom or even squirting it over a distance of up to 2m if the toad is particularly roughly treated. The biggest danger to humans is that the venom could come in contact with the eyes, where it causes intense pain and temporary blindness.
If handling a Cane Toad, it is important to wash your hands immediately afterwards and to be careful not to touch your eyes. If any venom does affect the eyes, bathing in running water will relieve the pain. Never eat a Cane Toad, its eggs or its tadpoles.

Ecology

There is still much work to be done to fully understand what effects Cane Toads have on native wildlife, and just how far they can spread. There are some reasons for optimism. In the areas where Cane Toads have been around for the longest time, their populations have declined after the initial population explosion. It is also possible that some native animals are learning to avoid eating them. Other animals have shown they can eat the toad. The Keelback Snake can detoxify the venom and Water Rats, Ibis, Crows and some other birds turn the toads over and eat only the non-poisonous internal organs.