A group for Canadians, those who like to node Canadiana, and those who just realize that Canada is cool.


Venerable members of this group:

Aerobe, JD$, Palpz, Altusmens, Senso, Lord Brawl@, Oolong@+, Mark Forest, CanuckErrant, unfettered, RPGeek, grundoon, graceness, hamster bong, fortheloveofgod, hapax, Red Deer Smith, chebucto, Whiskeydaemon, visual_dichotomy, Rapscallion, Tempestas, schizophasic, RustyLark
This group of 24 members is led by Aerobe

Vancouver Island is the largest of the group of islands off the southwestern coast of British Columbia, Canada. With a land area of over 32,000 km2 and a population of approximately 700,000, it is the second most populous island in Canada, after the much smaller Île de Montréal (home to Canada's second-largest city, and not much else). Vancouver Island is home to British Columbia's capital Victoria, which is situated at the southern tip of the island. Somewhat confusingly, it is not home to the city of Vancouver, situated across the Strait of Georgia on the British Columbia mainland.

A Tour of Vancouver Island

Greater Victoria

Most of the visitors to Vancouver Island will arrive in its most populous area, Greater Victoria. With ferry access from Tsawwassen south of Vancouver, Anacortes on the shores of Puget Sound in Washington State, Port Angeles on the Olympic Peninsula, and Seattle, as well as an international airport and float plane service from Vancouver, it is the best-connected part of the Island, and for good reason. Greater Victoria is home to about half of the Island's population, and is the site of the provincial capital.

Victoria has a reputation as a quaint, traditional town where many of the genteel traditions of the British Empire days survive, at least for the benefit of the ever-present tourists. From the more practical perspective of a resident, it hosts a large retired population, drawn to the mildest climate in Canada, much of the provincial government bureaucracy, the main port of Canada's Pacific navy in the suburb of Esquimalt, and several centres of advanced education, making it the odd combination of a retirement community and a college town. That said, it remains a significant centre for tourism, aided by its fine selection of museums and one quintessentially British pastime adopted heartily by the people of Victoria: gardening.

Victoria is sometimes called the "Garden City", an appellation reinforced by the many planters and hanging baskets found in the central city, and the presence of the (self-proclaimedly) world-famous Butchart Gardens on the Saanich Peninsula north of the city centre. These large, spectacular gardens were developed initially from a spent cement quarry by the family of the quarry owner, who still own and operate the 55-acre estate. This garden sensibility transfers over to the lush green campus of the University of Victoria, home to 15-20,000 students.

Victoria is connected to the rest of the Island (except the other communities along the south-west shore) by a narrow, steep stretch of highway generally called 'the Malahat'. This road extends for 25 km and reaches from near sea level to a peak elevation of 352 m, leading to a steep drive, especially on the northern slope.

The Cowichan Valley and Duncan

Crossing out of the Greater Victoria area, one first encounters the primarily agrarian Cowichan Valley, home to several small towns and a central city, Duncan. Vancouver Island's wine industry is centred on the southern half of this valley, producing some of the more highly-rated Canadian wines, though greatly outshone in quantity by the Okanagan Valley in the BC interior. Unlike the service-driven Victoria area, much of the rest of the Island is centred around resource industries, especially forestry. The northern Cowichan Valley is home to one of the Island's several pulp mills, with many active logging areas in the central areas of the Island west of Duncan.

Duncan itself has, as its main claim to fame, the world's largest hockey stick, displayed with the corresponding world's largest hockey puck outside the local arena, in full view of the highway through Duncan. Other than that, Duncan distinguishes itself from the rest of the small towns on the island through the large number of totem poles erected in the (admittedly rather small) downtown.

Other possible places of interest in the Valley include the tourist town of Chemainus, whose particular fame comes from the many large murals painted on the sides of buildings in its central core, and also notable for its ridiculous (and officially-specified) demonym "Chemainiac". At the very northern end of the Valley is Ladysmith which claims it's famous for sitting directly on the 49th parallel, but if you've ever heard of it before it is probably as the birthplace of famous Canadian, model, and unintended porn star Pamela Anderson. At the south end of the Valley are Mill Bay and Shawnigan Lake, home to one prestigious boarding school each and a public high school that counts among its alumni the author of this article. The Island Highway continues north from Ladysmith towards Vancouver Island's second-largest city, Nanaimo.

Nanaimo

A former coal-mining town that has seen better days but is revitalizing itself in recent years, Nanaimo is the gateway to the vast northern reaches of Vancouver Island. It is connected via ferry to both Tsawwassen south of Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay north of Vancouver, making it the second major entry point to the Island.

Nanaimo is probably best known as the namesake of the marvellous confection known as the Nanaimo bar, a layering of a chocolate cookie crust, custard, and a solid chocolate topping. The Nanaimo bar has been popularized in recent years by Starbucks Coffee, based in nearby Seattle, Washington, and is very popular in Western Canada around Christmas time. The nearby small island of Newcastle Island was a coal mine and then a famous resort, but is now a provincial park with a nature and historical reserve. In the category of 'small city quirks' we find the annual Nanaimo Bathtub Races, which once included an event crossing the Strait of Georgia to Kitsilano Beach in Vancouver.

Nanaimo has suffered a certain amount of urban creep in the past couple decades, with the awkward geography and general shabbiness of the nominal downtown shifting development further and further north along the corridor of the Island Highway. The largest commercial development, Woodgrove Mall, is at the very northern end of the City of Nanaimo and the associated development has spilled over into the adjacent community of Lantzville. Nanaimo is also home to the spectacular main campus of Malaspina University-College, clinging to the hills above the downtown core. The Island Highway continues north from Nanaimo to the vacation towns of Parksville and Qualicum Beach.

Parksville-Qualicum

Parksville and Qualicum Beach, due to their natural beauty, gentle climate, and proximity to the ferry in Nanaimo, are popular destinations for both vacationers and retirees. The two towns are surrounded by a number of resorts and provincial park campgrounds, spots at some of the latter which are highly sought-after by Island residents despite their relatively large number. Parksville is the larger of the two towns, the younger of the two, and the more workaday town, where Qualicum has the oldest residential population in British Columbia.

Parksville-Qualicum is also the main crossroads of Vancouver Island, being the point where the main east-west highway intersects with the north-south highway following the east coast of the island. West of Parksville the highway crosses the mountain range along the spine of the Island to eventually reach the surf town Tofino and its accompanying beachfront Long Beach. The northbound highway continues past the twin cities of Courtenay/Comox and the town of Campbell River before striking into the lightly-inhabited northern reaches of the Island en route to the north end of the Island at Port Hardy.

Port Alberni and the West Coast

The highway traversing the centre of Vancouver Island is a winding, steep, occasionally vomit-inducing road connecting Parksville at the east with Port Alberni in the middle and Long Beach at the west. Port Alberni is situated at the end of a long inlet and has been a major centre for forestry throughout most of its history due to its favourable location in the heart of Vancouver Island. In recent years, the export of sawmill and pulp mill work to cheaper locales has damaged the local economy, but its proximity to the wilderness of the central Island has spawned a burgeoning eco-tourism industry and the plentiful salmon in the many local rivers have made it a major centre for sport fishing.

Port Alberni is also the most accessible gateway to the rugged west coast of Vancouver Island. Unlike the smooth, sheltered east coast of the Island, which supports farmland and cities with equal ease, the west coast of the Island is a rugged wilderness with the full brunt of Pacific Ocean weather directed upon it. The southern west coast is famous for two long hiking trails. The longer and larger of the two is the famous West Coast Trail, built to aid mariners stranded by the none-too-infrequent shipwrecks that occurred along the treacherous coastline, and is a 5-7 day deep wilderness hike. It has been joined in recent years by the much tamer Juan de Fuca Trail, extending from the southern terminus of the West Coast Trail at Port Renfrew to Sooke on the outskirts of Greater Victoria.

Further up the coast is the Long Beach region accessible by highway from Port Alberni. Delineated by the villages of Ucluelet and Tofino, Long Beach is a well-known camping and surfing destination. Both villages have a variety of tourist amenities, with Tofino the more developed of the two.The West Coast Trail and Long Beach, along with the Broken Group Islands in Barkley Sound at the mouth of the Alberni Inlet, make up Pacific Rim National Park. North of Tofino the west coast of the Island is mostly uninhabited wilderness, with the occasional and very controversial logging operation.

Courtenay/Comox, Campbell River, and Points North

The road north of Parksville has improved in recent years, with the slow coast-hugging Island Highway replaced with a new inland expressway named (appropriately enough) the Inland Island Highway. Both highways connect the southern Island to the two major centres of the north Island, Courtenay/Comox and Campbell River.

Courtenay and Comox are two cities on the coast of the Island separated by the Comox River. Courtenay is the larger of the two, with most of the local shopping and lodgings, while Comox is more residential, and is home to two major Canadian Forces military bases. CFB Comox is the main base for the Canadian air force on the Pacific coast, much like CFB Esquimalt is for the Pacific naval fleet. The Canadian navy, too, has a base in Comox, the training centre HMCS Quadra. The Courtenay/Comox area is also home to the Island's only ski area, Mount Washington, and to the former coal mining town of Cumberland.

Further up the coast is the town of Campbell River, which like the rest of the Island bases its economy on a combination of natural resources and tourism. Like Port Alberni, it is a popular destination for salmon fishing, and boasts an impressive eco-tourism industry, bolstered by the nearby Strathcona Provincial Park. This provincial park consists of over 2,000 square kilometres of wilderness, including the highest mountains on the Island and a network of lakes and rivers popular for canoeing and kayaking. South of Campbell River is the former shipping hazard Ripple Rock, destroyed in the 1950's by one of the largest non-nuclear explosions in history.

Beyond Campbell River the country becomes less populated, with only the occasional mining town or logging operation in the middle of what is otherwise pure wilderness. The Island Highway ends at the village of Port Hardy, which is connected by ferry with the northern port of Prince Rupert on the BC mainland. Port Hardy is a significant conduit for tourists driving up the island and continuing to Prince Rupert and thence to the Interior or across to the Queen Charlotte Islands and has been known to be over-full from time to time.

History of Vancouver Island

Vancouver Island has been inhabited by Coast Salish and Kwakiutl First Nations for centuries. It was first charted in the 18th century by the Spanish captain Juan de la Bodega y Quadra and the British captain George Vancouver, for whom the Island was originally jointly named, as the "Island of Vancouver and Quadra" (the ordering, of course, depending on the nationality of the speaker). Later, as the Island fell deeper into the British sphere of influence, the name Quadra was dropped and eventually reassigned to a smaller (though still relatively large) island between Vancouver Island and the BC mainland.

Vancouver Island was first fully colonized by Britain as part of the Oregon border dispute, with the foundation of Fort Camosun (soon renamed Fort Victoria) in 1843. The presence of significant British settlement on Vancouver Island was used as leverage to convince the United States government to give up its claim to 54ˆ40' and accept a border at the 49th parallel, with Vancouver Island gaining an exception due to the presence of Victoria well south of the 49th parallel. The Island was soon formally annexed as the Colony of Vancouver Island in 1849.

While the early years of this colony were successful largely from Victoria's use as a way-station for several gold rushes in the BC interior, by 1865 its economy was on the decline. In 1866 it was merged with the much larger and more prosperous colony of British Columbia, with the capital of the combined province remaining in Victoria in preference to the mainland capital, New Westminster. (The city of Vancouver would not be founded until 1886 and so was not a candidate)

This merged colony was not to last for very long, as the Dominion of Canada was formed from Britain's eastern colonies in North America just one year after the merger of the western colonies. This newly self-governing nation grew rapidly, and was soon able to offer the British Columbians the one thing they most wanted: a transcontinental railroad. As such, British Columbia became the sixth province of Canada in 1871, and the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway commenced at the same time.

It is the presence of the railway to eastern Canada that led to the eventual decline of Vancouver Island relative to the mainland. Around the end of the railway grew the communities of the Greater Vancouver area, and the growth in trans-Pacific trade bolstered Vancouver's economy through its role as a seaport. Nevertheless, the presence of the provincial government in Victoria, along with the growing importance of the Island's forests for the timber industry, sustained the city of Victoria and the rest of the Island through to the recent growth in tourism.


Sources: The author lived on Vancouver Island from 1992 to 2004, first around Duncan and then in Victoria. Wikipedia was used as a refresher on details.
By building a truly just society, this beautiful, rich and energetic country of ours can become a model in which every citizen will enjoy his fundamental rights, in which two great linguistic communities and people of many cultures will live in harmony and in which every individual will find fulfillment.
- Pierre Elliot Trudeau at the Liberal Leadership Convention, 1968.

P.E.T.
1919 - 2000
R.I.P



In 1999, the year before he succumbed to prostate cancer, the Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Canada's 15th Prime Minister, was named by Canadian Press as the Canadian newsmaker of the century. The reason for this is rather simple. Of all Canadian politicians, he has been the most controversial. Heck, we don't need to look any further than Goodbye, Pierre Elliott Trudeau to see that. In addition, in 2004, he was named by the CBC as the 3rd Greatest Canadian of all time.

Trudeau was stylish, eloquent, overbearing, flamboyant, arrogant and charismatic. He wouldn't take shit from anyone, whether we're talking political opponents, political allies, or terrorists.

He drove fast cars, he wore nice suits, with a red rose pinned to the lapel, or he did business in sandals. He swam 42 laps a day in a pool installed by a private donor at 24 Sussex Drive. He swore in the House of Commons. He was the first (and so far the last) Prime Minister of Canada to have a brown belt in Judo. He dated actresses and singers, and hung out with people from Lennon to Castro. He gave protestors the finger. He did a pirouette behind the Queen's back.

He was a devout catholic, but made abortion legal in Canada. He was, depending on who you talked to, a fascist and a socialist. He was a fascinating man.

All in all, he was the greatest politician that this country has ever seen. Who else could get away with what he got away with. Unfortunately, sometimes being the best politician doesn't really translate into being the best choice to actually lead the country.

He did manage to piss off a *lot* of people with his policies. When he started office, the national debt was $17Billion, when he exited, it was over $200Billion. And yet he still kept getting elected. Well, most of the time.


Career Highlights:

Received his B.A. from Jean de Brébeuf College in 1940, and then went on to get a law degree from the University of Montreal in 1943, and his Master's in Political Economics from Harvard in 1945. He also studied a year each at the École des sciences politiques in Paris, and the London School of Economics.

He spent several years traveling the world, before returning home to Canada. Back there, he championed union causes, and founded Citi Libre, a liberal magazine, one of the few publications that would speak out against the policies of Maurice Duplessis, then the premier of Quebec.

He taught constitutional law at the University of Montreal for six years before the Federal liberal party needed someone to run for a seat in the Montreal Mount Royal riding. The man they picked was him.


1965: First Elected as a member of parliament, for Mount Royal, Quebec.

1967: Trudeau is appointed Justice Minister. Amongst other things, on his own initiative, he proposes legislation that is one of the first steps towards making abortion legal in Canada. He later follows through as Prime Minister, removing the rest of the legal roadblocks, as well as removing any legislation pertaining to homosexuality.


1968: After a mere 3 years is politics, he is elected leader of the Federal Liberal Party, who have the most seats in the House of Commons, thus becoming the Prime Minister of Canada. He calls an election 3 days after he is sworn in. He wins this election, taking 155 of the 264 seats in the house of commons.

1969: The house of commons passes the Official Languages Act, which made Canada technically bilingual, French and English if you couldn't figure it out. As a result, all federal government services are required to be provided in French or English. Of course, a lot of people, especially out west, view this as a complete waste of taxpayer money.


1970: The October Crisis. Members of the Quebec Separatist Terrorist Group, the Front de Libération du Québec, or FLQ, kidnap James Cross, the British Trade Commissioner, and Pierre Laporte, the Quebec Labour Minister. This is following a long string of bombings spanning 7 years, in which they killed 7 people and injured many others.

In response, Trudeau convenes the house to invoke the War Measures Act, imposing martial law, to "root out the cancer of an armed, revolutionary movement that is bent on destroying the very basis of our freedom."

The FLQ end up killing Laporte, and releasing Cross, in exchange for allowing them to escape to Cuba.


1971: The fuddle duddle incident. Trudeau is pissed off at an opposition MP during question period, so calls him a Mother Fucker. At the time, he was out of earshot of all members of the press. Later on, when reporters question him about the incident, he claims all he said was Fuddle Duddle.

And on March 4, he marries Margaret Sinclair, the daughter of a former Liberal Cabinet minister, whom he met while vacationing in Tahiti. At the time, he was 51 and she was 22. Their first son, Justin, was born on Christmas day of this year.

1972: Another election. The Liberals manage to squeeze in, and hold on to a minority government, with the support of the NDP.

1973: Margaret gives birth to their 2nd child, freakishly again on Dec 25, another son, whom they named Alexandre.

1974: In May, the government fails a confidence vote in the House of Commons, which traditionally means that another election is immediately called. Trudeau leads the Liberals back to a majority government.

Later that year, he announced wage and price controls, designed to combat inflation. The cabinet only bothered to tell the provincial premiers about it that day.

1975: Margaret and Pierre had their 3rd son, Michel, this time on October 2nd.


1976: After the Parti Quebecois won a landslide victory in the provincial election, Trudeau again focused upon fighting separatism. The next year, he mentions that he would not be against using force to prevent Quebec from unilaterally declaring independence, or as he put it, "I'm not going to be shy about using the sword."

1977: Pierre and Margaret separate, and later divorce.

1979: Trudeau calls an election, which really doesn't go all that well. The Progressive Conservatives, under Joe Clark, win a minority government. Later that year, he resigns as head of the Liberal Party

However, Joe's government screws up a confidence vote, and is forced to call an election, about 6 months after the previous election. Somehow, someone manages to talk Pierre into returning to the leadership of the Liberal party. And, he manages to win the 1980 election, with the Liberals returning to power with a majority government.

His first task, after appointing Jeanne Sauve as the first female Speaker of the House of Commons, is to start campaigning for the no side in Quebec's sovereignty-association referendum in May, or as most people in the country saw it, the separation referendum.

Thankfully, the no side wins. Yay!


Later that year, his government implemented the National Energy Program, designed to protect Canadians from surges in oil prices, while at the same time increasing Canadian control and ownership in its national resources.

So, a number of foreign companies pulled out of the country, costing jobs. And the companies that were left were forced to sell oil to the rest of Canada at prices lower than worldwide market price.

Since the only province with any real oil and gas developments was Alberta, this hit them the hardest. Most people there viewed this simply as them subsidizing the heating bills of Eastern Canada, especially Quebec and Ontario. Support for the Federal Liberals disappeared overnight, and bumper stickers such as "Let the Eastern Bastards Freeze in the Dark" popped up.

This would really be the first event that kicked off the start of any actual western independence movement. And, of course, a lot of them started to hate Trudeau. For many, the fact that he passed away didn't change that.


After this, Trudeau decides to make constitutional reform his main objective, including the patriation of the Canadian Constitution, and giving Canada a charter of rights and freedoms.

To start off with, before he could really work out a way to bring the Constitution, which was at the time an act of the British Parliament, to Canada, he needed to figure out how to change it in the future.

Some of the provinces opposed him, especially Quebec, who fought tooth and nail. They wanted special concessions worked into the constitution on account of them being a distinct society. Of course, Trudeau thought that was bullshit, after all, how can one group of people be any *more* distinct than another group of people?

Anyhow, he eventually gets fed up with bickering, so heads to London to get the amendment formula that he wrote accepted by their parliament. This really pisses off the provinces, which go straight to the Supreme Court of Canada to ask them if he can do this.

Well, they decide that yes, the Federal Government *can* do this, however they really *should* check with the provinces.

So, he heads back, and much more bickering ensues. Eventually, late one night, he hammers out a compromise with Ontario and Saskatchewan, and then asks the Premiers of 9 provinces if this was acceptable. They all said it was. Anyone wanna guess which province he didn't even bother asking?

Anyhow, it worked, the British Parliament passed it, and the Queen proclaimed it into law on April 25, 1982.


This same year, Trudeau also appoints Bertha Wilson, and Jeanne Sauve to be Canada's first female Supreme Court Justice, and Governor General respectively.

So, that having been done, Trudeau decides to go on a whirlwind tour of Europe, with the idea of easing tensions in the cold war. He doesn't do too badly, even gets nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. Fortunately or Unfortunately, the Russian Communist Party leader Yuri Andropov died in the middle of this tour, so what was supposed to be peace talks in Moscow, turned into a funeral.


He returned to Canada, and resigned as Prime Minister later that year, 1984. From then on, he pretty much stayed out of the public eye. He went back to law, spent some more time teaching at the University of Montreal, and working for a law firm in the city. In 1985, he was made a Companion of the Order of Canada, the highest honour that can be bestowed upon a Canadian citizen. In 1991, he fathered a daughter named Sarah, with Deborah Coyne. I can't really find much about her, other than the fact that she's a constitutional law expert. I suppose they met through work, after all, he did pretty much write it.

In 1998, his son Michel died in an avalanche in British Columbia. Those close to him say that he never really recovered from this blow.

In late 1999, he was hospitalized, and on September 28th, 2000, suffering from Parkinson's Disease and prostate cancer, he passed away.


Of course, because this was Trudeau, the controversy didn't stop after his death. There were those who didn't join in on the mourning, but actually celebrated in his demise. For example, there was a city councilor in Black Diamond, I believe it was, a small town near Calgary, who when the mayor brought in the news, and called for a moment of silence, decided instead to take off his cowboy hat, wave it around, and cheer. And, for some reason, I rather doubt that this was the only incident of the sort.

But, overall, the nation mourned. More so than they had for any other Prime Minister, or any other citizen for that matter.

The Right Honourable Pierre Elliott Trudeau lead a life that few could hope to match. A glamorous lifestyle combined with a lasting impact, in my opinion for the better, upon the future of the country that he loved. Few people could wish for more.

I wish I could have seen him in his prime, unfortunately, I was just getting old enough to start paying attention to this stuff when he was just entering his exile from the limelight.



Terry Fox - #2 << Greatest Canadian Number #3 >> Sir Frederick Banting - #4


Sources:
www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/trudeau
www.globeandmail.com/series/trudeau/ambulant.html
www.globeandmail.com/series/trudeau/judo.html
www.globeandmail.com/series/trudeau/trudeau01.html
www.canadahistory.com/sections/politics/polpierre.htm
www.lifesite.net/ldn/2000/oct/001003a.html
www.primeministers.ca/trudeau/bio_1.php
www.nlc-bnc.ca/primeministers/h4-3375-e.html

Baffin Island is an island in the Canadian north and a part of Nunavut territory. Its land area of over 500,000 square kilometers makes it the largest island in Canada and the fifth largest island in the world (behind Madagascar and ahead of Sumatra).


History

Baffin Island is believed to have first been discovered around 1000 AD by Leif Eriksson and originally called Helluland by the Vikings. Its modern name comes from British explorer William Baffin, an early seeker of the fabled Northwest Passage.

The first permanent settlements came in the 1850s as part of the North Atlantic whaling industry. With the decline of whaling and the boom of fur trading in the early 1900s, the Hudson's Bay Company opened a trading outpost near what would become Iqaluit in 1914. Hudson's Bay Co. also established a post in Pangnirtung, making it the second largest city on Baffin Island. Iqaluit would later house an American Air Force base from 1949 to 1963, providing a great boom to the local economy.

Baffin Island, along with the rest of Nunavut, separated from the rest of the Northwest Territories on April 1, 1999. Iqaluit was chosen to be the capital in December, 1995 and officially recognized as such on April 19, 2001.


Demographics

Baffin Island has a population of only 11,000, about one third of the entire Nunavut territory. Over half the population is native Inuit. Of this 11,000, over half live in its largest city Iqaluit, which is also the capital and largest city in Nunavut. Other large towns include Pangnirtung, Pond Inlet, and Cape Dorset, which is located on a small offshore island. The island is governed as a part of the Qikiqtaaluk Region of Nunavut, consisting of the Melville Penninsula and a large number of Canada's arctic islands (including Ellesmere, the third largest island in Canada).


Geography

In the central part of the island is the Barnes icecap, which was been retreating since the 1960s. Baffin Island also contains a large mountain range. Its highest peak is Mount Blanche at 2,146 m. Other notable features include Mount Asgard, used in the opening sequence of the James Bond film The Spy Who Loved Me, and Mount Thor, which is Earth's highest purely vertical drop at 1,250 m (with an average angle of 105 degrees). These locations are popular with rock climbers and BASE jumpers, in spite of their remoteness.

Baffin Island is also home to Auyuittuq National Park. Auyuittuq National Park contains little vegetation and sparse wildlife (known to house only 12 species of mammals), but is an excellent example of the many terrains of an Arctic wilderness. In Inuit, Auyuittuq means "the land that never melts".

A large portion of Baffin Island lies north of the Arctic Circle. As a result, many communities are subject to Polar night and midnight sun. Clyde River on the eastern coast of Baffin Island, for example, experiences continuous sunlight from May 14 to July 28, and perpetual darkness from November 22 until January 19.


How to Get There

The primary means of travel to Baffin Island from mainland Canada is through Iqaluit Airport. Canada North provides regular service from Ottawa, while First Air serves the city from Ottawa and Montreal. The airport features a long WWII era runway able to accommodate most modern jets. This proved useful on June 1, 1996 when a Virgin Atlantic 747 en route from London to Los Angeles was forced to make an emergency landing when a passenger suffered a heart attack. Local rumor insists that the airport serves as an emergency landing site for NASA's Space Shuttle, although this rumor is false. The airport has also served as a cold weather aircraft testing facility, notably for the Airbus A380. Air service is provided through Iqaluit to most cities on Baffin Island.


What to Do

Iqaluit is home to the Nunatta Sunakkutaangit Museum. This museum contains a permanent collection of Inuit artifacts, as well as northern themed traveling exhibits which change throughout the year. Artisans can enjoy the Nunavut Arctic College and its collection of jewelry and metalwork and impressive sculpture garden. Near Iqaluit is the small village of Apex. This is the site of the historic St. Simon’s Church and some of the original Hudson's Bay Company buildings.

Pangnirtung is the nearest town to Auyuittuq National Park. As such, it serves as an excellent starting point for those wishing to backpack along Akshayuk Pass, or visit some of the many cliffs for a BASE jumping excursion.

Pond Inlet is called one of Canada's "jewels of the north". Picturesque mountain ranges are seen in all directions, making the landscape a favorite of local artists.

Due to the extreme northerliness and limited light pollution, all of Baffin Island makes for excellent viewing of the Northern Lights. The Aurora Borealis are best view in Spring and early Fall. The light show continues in Winter, but skywatchers should be prepared for the extreme temperatures found during that time of the year.


References:

  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baffin_Island
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqaluit%2C_Nunavut
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iqaluit_Airport
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auyuittuq_National_Park
  • http://www.baffinisland.ca/
  • http://www.city.iqaluit.nu.ca/apps/fusebox/index.php?fa=c.splash
For Everything's Most Wanted