The Dark Knight is your classic hero/villain movie, with one classic twist. You like the villain, not just because he entertains you, but because he is manically mesmerizing. Christian Bale returns as Bruce Wayne/Batman, giving adequate performance from his role. This “is what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object,” best describes our clash between Batman and The Joker. They both refuse to kill each other, but for different reasons.

The film was released on July 18, 2008 in North America and July 24, 2008 in the United Kingdom. It has generated superb reviews, receiving an 82 from Metacritic, and averaged an 8.5/10.0 average from over 168 reviews. The Rolling Stones says The Dark Knight goes deeper than its predecessor in an epic tale. David Denby of The New Yorker does point out correctly, however, that the movie is in a constant climax, and is too long at 152 minutes.

Minimal Spoilers, but there are some

Posthumous Oscar

The Dark Knight could have been called The Joker. Heath Ledger gave an Oscar worthy performance, creating buzz of a posthumous Oscar award. His role as The Joker will be remembered as one of the most memorable villains in recent cinematic history. His psychotic villain was as funny as a clown should be, and yet as evil as a butcher. He suited up in purple and green, with white makeup, and blood red enhanced lips – they come with scars. The Joker over shadowed everybody else in the film. It’s really quite sad that Heath Ledger won’t be playing any more Joker roles, nobody could ever top his performance. Our director, Christopher Nolan, clearly was inspired by The Joker. You clearly see this even from the introduction of the movie, which is so very catchy. If you miss it there, you’ll get numerous opportunities to hear a monologue from a crazy clown masquerading on Gotham City. He puts knives to people’s lips frequently. My favorite part is when he walks away from a building being blown up, wearing a peculiar costume.

Two Faced

Our “White Knight”, Harvey Dent, is turned into Two-Face, after half of his face is melted off. He flips a coin that has heads on both sides, but one side is now black, while the other is white after the accident. “Luck is the only fair justice,” overcomes Two-Face, but you’ll have to watch the movie for that spoiler. The luck element really adds to the movie, by the flip of a coin. The movie’s title was likely intended to emphasize the roll of our hero gone villain. “You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.” It’s the most telling line in the movie. Batman has his own hero identity crisis along the same lines. Michael Caine as Alfred Pennyworth even admits he doesn't want to see Batman put down the suit. But our hero finally realizes he was never a hero, but rather an outcast. This way, he could never become a villain in the first place.

Toys

Batman sees some new gadgets in this movie. In Batman Begins he couldn’t turn his head. With his new suit, he isn’t as bulletproof, but he is dogproof. We see Batman drive a tank, a motorcycle that could also called a tank, which detaches from… his tank. He also gets picked up by an airplane. Not walking up some steps into an aircraft, not that type of pickup. Rather, he was standing next to a broken window, and tosses into the air a device that gets hooked by the plane, and he goes flying into the air. Batman also has some shootable crooked spikes that come in very handy.

Spoilers

The following is definitely a spoiler or two.

Gotham is a city full of villains. Corrupted cops, judges, and the mafia. Somehow even The Scarecrow makes a quick appearance towards the beginning of the movie. Harvey Dent is in the process of cleaning up the mess, and Batman almost retires to pursue his love for Rachel Dawes. Dent, also in love with Dawes, makes a gentle suggestion of marriage himself, but that of course is interrupted by The Joker. After The Joker corrupts Harvey Dent into Two-Face, Batman realizes he will never be just Bruce Wayne. He then proves to The Joker that he is truly incorruptible, which leads us to an interesting paradox.

Okay, so what does our introduction quote really refer to? This “is what happens when an unstoppable force hits an immovable object.” Batman has two opportunities to kill The Joker. One where he is driving his motorcycle-tank directly at The Joker and he dodges at the last second, allowing The Joker to win chicken by merely standing. The other is when Batman throws The Joker off a building, and he shoots his rope endowed device to save him. The Joker won’t kill Batman either; in fact, he saves Batman from losing his identity. He tells the city to either kill the rat in sixty minutes, or he’ll blow up a hospital. One last telling moment of the movie is where The Joker loads explosives onto two ferries fleeing Gotham. One boat is full of citizens. The other boat is full of convicted felons. He gives each ferry a device to blow up the other, and gives them fifteen minutes to take action, or he’ll blow both ferries up. It hits midnight, but neither boat blows up! The Joker is frustrated because he was certain. But what he doesn’t know is a convict talks the security guard in charge of the button into giving it to him, only to throw it out the window. While on the other boat, they hold a ballot, with an overwhelming majority in favor of pressing the button – only to find out no one could press it. Batman saves the day and prevents The Joker from finishing the task.

Batman - the immovable object, incorruptible.
The Joker - the unstoppable force, bringer of anarchy.

Two Genre Movies About Terrorism, A Discussion

"You can't wipe them out... The British Army has been diving about, with shit flying at them from all angles, for the last ten years and you're not impressed? They can take over here any time they want. You won't stop them. To them you're nothing. Nothing. The shit on their shoes!" Derek Thompson as Jeff in The Long Good Friday
"You have nothing, nothing to threaten me with, nothing to do with all your strength." Heath Ledger, as The Joker in The Dark Knight

Batman, the biggest brand in comic books. Batman, a hero drawn on so grand a scale that all film interpretations risk delving into kitsch. And in The Dark Knight we see a Batman movie where he meets, and battles, his most legendary foe. If it couldn't manage to be brilliant, it would be terrible, but brilliant it is. And yet, for the entire length of the movie (minus the sections where the Dolby Digital was crushing all thoughts from my brain) I had a nagging feeling that I'd seen this before, that a bell was ringing in my subconscious.

I've long been a believer that genre-movies, when made by intelligent film makers, can be a far more accurate social and political commentary than their more highbrow brethren. In The Dark Knight the Nolan brothers have drawn The Joker as the ultimate demon of our age — a terrorist with a solid agenda within which random slaughter is just a stepping stone. By presenting us with the most implicitly New York-like interpretation of Gotham City (but then, it always has been New York) that has so far been set to celluloid, the films allusions to 9/11 cannot be avoided. In doing so they have been subject to an intermittent(1) critical(2) drubbing(3), from those who refuse to accept that a genre-movie must have two masters, allegory and genre rules, and in doing so they bleat foolishly "but, but, but, The Joker isn't Bin Laden" (well, duh!).

The film sits in an almost identical cultural space to one I consider among the greatest ever to come out of Britain — The Long Good Friday (1980). Made five years after the 1974-1975 episode of IRA bombing/terrorist activity (often called The Year London Blew Up(4)), there had been just enough time for a commentary on the IRA's campaign to become common-level, TLGF was exempt from the deference required of a recent tragedy. TLGF took the IRA threat and crafted it into a brutally realistic crime epic, a genre that was and remains among those Britain is most successful at pitching to a wide audience.




In terms of narrative arc the parallels between the two films are striking. Both are conducted over a matter of days. In each we are presented with leads (In TLGF Bob Hoskins plays London's biggest criminal kingpin striving to bring his empire above board) whose personal identity has become interwoven with the well-being of an enormous metropolis. At the onset both leads are bent on a city-changing goal (destroying the mob, re-building The London Docklands), which becomes impossible when faced with an opponent willing to use acts of extreme public violence to undermine them. Punctuated by a series of explosions and executions, as each film progresses the lead is required to become ever more base and brutal, until they are stripped of all honour and cover to end the terrorist threat.

The most blatant parallels are in the two "Nothing" scenes quoted above. In each film an interrogation takes place in which the lead, torn by the invisible nature of his enemy's power, faces a voice for his opponent. I won't spoil either, but they hinge on the impotence of these physically powerful men in the face of the enemy within. Both are driven to uncharacteristic, unconscionable acts of rage.

The Long Good Friday is a masterpiece of Greek Tragedy, and when this summer's adrenaline wears off it will likely be remembered as a higher calibre of film than The Dark Knight. TDK has some serious flaws that serve to undermine the whole edifice. Christian Bale's Batman is far less substantial than it was in Batman Begins (he gets comprehensively driven off the screen by Ledger's Joker) and the entire third act of the film is pretty shaky: where the story arc requires a tragic ending the genre requirements need the villain to be defeated. There is both genius and fundamental problems in presenting us with a personification of terrorism who can be defeated. Further, the less said about the heavy-handed mobile phone gizmo/Patriot Act sub-plot the better.

And yet, TDK is intended as the biggest blockbuster of the summer, and thus it is tied far more than the low budget TLGF to the narrative requirements of such... As is so often the case with political genre movies aimed at a wide audience, the politics must take second billing during the barnstorming third-act, and as a genre movie this is superb action and adrenaline.

Are these parallels intentional? TDK is an American film with a very strong English team behind it. In the Nolan Brothers and Christian Bale we have some of Hollywood's favourite Englishmen, and in Michael Caine an actor who has starred in several (Get Carter, The Italian Job, The Harry Palmer movies) of the greatest British crime movies. Even further, Hoskins tried out(5) for a role in the movie. Amongst this team, someone must have noticed the similarities. TLGF is an attempt to use genre conventions to illustrate the reaction of London to the IRA's threat, and this team has attempted the same feat in respect of 9/11 with TDK. It's an approach I respect, and I am surprised that these similarities haven't been commented on elsewhere.

1980 was right in the thick of The Troubles, released to the backdrop of the Dirty Protests that marked the earlier stages of The Hunger Strikes. In the years that followed The Troubles would climax with the Brighton Bombing, when the IRA almost succeeded in assassinating Britain's entire government. The Long Good Friday is one of those classic British films that has somehow been lost in translation to the international market, and I strongly, strongly recommend it... From the first moment of the film, to Hoskins' inevitable descent, this film is a triumph. The Dark Knight is a completely satisfying comic-book epic, and I'm impressed that the Nolan brothers have managed to draw so much political substance into it. To put so much ambition into a Hollywood blockbuster parallels the achievements of Tim Burton's earlier film, this is bound to bring a flawed product — that's almost the point.




Terrorism is a method, and will never go away... That films like this are being made is a sign that some of the burn of post-9/11 hysteria has passed. Unless there is a second surge of terrorist activity (as happened after The Hunger Strikes) then this film is another marker that 2008 was the year we got over worrying about terrorists, and started shitting ourselves about The Economy again.

"What I'm looking for is someone who can contribute to what England has given to the world: culture, sophistication, genius. A little bit more than an 'ot dog, know what I mean?" Bob Hoskins in the last scene of The Long Good Friday



(1)http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2008/jul/28/dark.night
(2)http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jul/23/heathledger.celebrity
(3)http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/film/film_reviews/article4386375.ece
(4)http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/Y/year_london_blew_up/index.html
(5)http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/news/1647489/andquotthe_dark_knightandquot_chatter_heath_ledger_on_the_joker_bob_hoskins_as_the_penguin

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.