Alphabetically by location, then username:

Arlington

Charlottesville
  • dutchess (Mon Feb 25 2002 at 12:34:09)
    Born and raised right here in the Commonwealth. Yup. When I was a kid, living in Richmond, I thought Walter Cronkite was the president and that Richmond was the capitol. Of the United States.
    Richmond is, in my opinion, the state capitol most like a small town. And it's odd, in a distinctly Southern way--Monument Avenue has a bunch of statues commemorating Confederate war heroes, and then one of Arthur Ashe, African American tennis star. (We do, however, have the largest collection of Faberge eggs outside of the Kremlin.*)
    I went to Pocahontas middle school, Powhatan High School, The College of William and Mary, and the University of Virginia. Thomas Jefferson also attended William and Mary, and went on to found UVa. Charlottesville, where I now live, is Jefferson country in a big way. Monticello, Jefferson's home, is right down the road apiece (for a visual, check out the back of a nickle.) Remember the show The Waltons? They're also from these parts.
    Ah, Virginia. The mother of presidents. Va is beautiful. Va is for lovers. Va has history, lots and lots of history. Disney keeps trying to build a theme park here, but we've already got the real stuff.
    *Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, Richmond
Fairfax Leesburg Loudoun County
  • Spuunbenda (Sat Feb 10 2001 at 15:09:34)
    My wife, daughter and I live in a small town (very small - not in the Times Atlas) in western Loudoun County.
    Virginia is a beautiful state, in a geologically-old, soft and weathered kind of way, though east of us toward DC are the fastest-growing areas in the entire country, whose residents are paying the predictable price in terms of sprawl, traffic, noise and cost of living. Out here, though, the air is noticeably clearer, and it gets *quiet* at night. We are in the foothills of the north end of the Shenandoah Mountains, and 1000 feet or so of altitude gives us a bit of snow in winter, and a bit of coolth in the ordinarily insufferable Virginia summer.
    Only drawback out here (for those people who can stand to be away from cities, anyway) is the bandwidth. We'll get DSL by about 2030 if we're lucky, and the cable company here (Adelphia - diediedie) deems it sufficient to offer cable modems capped at 256k downstream, but that require a separate 14.4 modem for upstream. Luckily we live across the street from the CO so our 56k Supra gets a reliable 53k...
    update: Earthlink has capped all dialups in Loudoun at 33k. We are suitably appalled. We are getting Verizon ISDN, because neither Starband nor Earthlink satellite services work with Macs (nor do I want to be running around with a railgun and a 2150 ping), and because state law says they *have* to bring it to us no matter where we live. Whoot.
Lynchburg
  • Tosta Dojen (Sat Sep 09 2000 at 18:20:16)
    I am not sure I want to think of this as 'living' in Virginia, but it is my current place of residence, and it looks like it will stay that way for a while. So, I might as well sign up as a resident of Virginia until I go home again.
    I attend school in Lynchburg, which seems, to me, a fairly large city. This is probably because I am really from Wyoming, which is somewhat smaller, in terms of population. No, make that a lot smaller. My hometown has fewer people than my school, and some counties in this state have more people than my entire home state.
    Culture shock? Not really. Not yet, anyway.
Manassas Midlothian Moseley
  • RMSzero (2004.05.21 at 20:02)
    Can you add me to the Virginia node? I'm moving there in a week. I will be living in Moseley.
Sterling
  • volfied (Sun Jan 27 2002 at 17:27:57)
    I've lived in Reston, Virginia a couple of times in my life as a State Department brat. Reston is a sort of communist suburbia, has a strain of Ebola named after it, is the original home of AOL, and is a thoroughly unexciting place to live. The whole town is organized in clusters, and everyone living in Reston must pay dues to the Reston Association whose job it is to ensure that everybody's house conforms to their idea of class and decency. All basketball hoops must be the same color as the garages they are attached to. I've also heard of a couple who got a thorough tongue-lashing from the kindly middle-aged women of RA's Covenance Department for painting their house with the wrong brand of Navajo White paint. Reston does have a nice pool and tennis court system however, and a fairly spiffy Town Center complete with movie theather, GAP, Ruby Tuesday, Hyatt, and countless little shops and clothing stores. Other must-sees include McTacoHut, a fast food center with a rather self-explanatory moniker and the epic windowless South Lakes High School.
    I will be leaving this carefully packaged community in about half a year for the College of William & Mary in Williamsburg, VA. I can't even begin to describe what a dramatic change in environment this is.
    Update (July 9, 2003): I'm moving to Sterling at the end of this month, though I still work in Reston.
Vienna

For additions or corrections to any People Registry node
contact the individual who posted the list in the respective node
or any Content Editor

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.