Recreational Vehicles, or RVs as they are commonly referred to, are considered by some to be the only way to vacation. They contain most of the comforts of home such as a microwave oven, full bathroom, sofa, table, and beds for a number of people.

There are 3 major classes of RV. The Class A, Class B, and Class C. The major difference in these classes is chassis style. Class A RVs are more bus like in appearance, size, and engine. Class B RVs utilize a van style chassis and are often referred to as a van camper. Class C RVs have a more truck style chassis with an appropriate engine size.

Class A RVs range in size from 21 to 40 feet. Sleeping capacity is up to 10 people, depending on the model. Amenities can include full kitchen galley (with stove, refrigerator, and microwave), private sleeping areas (with twin, full, or queen size beds), bathroom facilities (with full tub and shower or just a shower, hot tub, and washer and dryer), and extendable living room areas. Marketing states that no special licensing is necessary for a Class A, but anyone interested should check their local laws. This style of RV can range in price from $48,000 to over $300,000. The average cost is approximately $81,000.

Class B RVs range in size from 16 to 21 feet. They generally have a capacity of sleeping up to 4 persons, depending on model. Most posses a minimum of sleeping, living, and galley areas but very limited bathroom facilities (if any at all). Class B RVs are more narrow than Class A or Class C as they utilize a normal van chassis. The average cost of a Class B RV is $43,000 with prices ranging from $33,000 to $65,000.

Class C RVs range in size from 20 to 32 feet. They generally can sleep up to 6 people, depending on the model. The buyer has many options for amenities including private master sleeping area, kitchen galley amenities (including stove, refrigerator, and microwave), bathroom facilities (including shower style), and extendable living areas. The average price of the Class C RV is approximately $48,000 with prices ranging from $39,000 to $67,000.

The major manufacturers of RVs are:

  • Winnebago® Industries, Inc.
  • Coachmen® Industries, Inc.
  • Fleetwood® Enterprises, Inc.
  • Gulf Stream Coach, Inc.
  • Airstream, Inc.

It should be noted that travel trailers, pop-up campers, and truck campers are also considered RVs but are not technically within the definition.

The types of additional campers that are commonly referred to as RVs are:

  • fifth wheel trailers
  • truck campers
  • travel trailers
  • conversion vans
  • pop-up (or folding) tent trailers

Information above was gathered in part at the following websites: http://www.rvmanufacturers.com/rv_types.cfm