Certain animals have been with humans long enough that it could be said to be their natural environment. Human parasites (hmm... Stop, doctor! That tapeworm has rights too!) are the obvious example, but certain furry animals also fit the mold. Animals that have undergone evolutionary change that makes them more fit for an environment as a companion animal can be said to be in a natural environment when kept as pets; a similar argument can be extended to some food animals. Of course, if one accepts that humans have been messing with nature and that they shouldn't do that, animals that have adapted to associate with humans are aberrations. This raises the question of what to do with them, since a mass liberation (run free, little animals!) is is condemning those that aren't still suited for life in the wild and don't go back to their owners to death. Many of those that are suited for life in the wild (which may include life as a scavenger on the edge of human civilization) will have a short, unpleasant life. Is that worth increased freedom? Does it even give them increased freedom? It's too bad we can't talk to the animals to find out.

It could be argued that severely mentally or physically handicapped humans who are kept in institutions or homes that they are not able to leave of their own free will are kept in a state analogous to that of pets. Just like pets, they're (ideally) fed, groomed, and otherwise cared for in ways they are unable or perceived as being unable to care for themselves. Those who are kept in such facilities but are able to leave of their own free will could be compared to outdoor pets.