I was in elementary school, probably 4th grade or so. I had to run an errand, go to the bathroom, or something that required going downstairs. On my way back up, I passed Richard.

Richard, as you might have guessed, is retarded. He was intelligent and nice, though I didn't know him really well. A lot of times in elementary school, if you go somewhere, you need to have a buddy. Richard's buddy was a bit ahead of him further up the stairs. He was also growing impatient as Richard was slowly climbing the stairs.

"Hurry up, Richard! Come on!"

I didn't like what he said, or his tone. So I decided to stick up for Richard. (I know what it's like to be the constant target of verbal abuse.)

"Hey! Richard's coming. He's retarded. Give him a break."

We went our separate ways, back to our respective classes.

A bit later, I was called into Richard's class by his teacher. It seems our little dialog was reported to the teacher, and she was upset. I figured it was because I told the kid off.

"Why did you call Richard retarded?"

What?

I wasn't sure how to answer. Of course, being in 4th grade, confronted with authority, and baffled at the situation, my nerves were acting up.

I was confused. I mean, he is retarded. That's what the teachers explained to us. What would they have me say instead? I wasn't insulting him, I was sticking up for him. Why am I in trouble for this? Trying to explain this to the teacher was pointless, however, and I was sent back to my class, believed to be some kind of hater-of-retarded kids. And of course, the teacher didn't bring me outside the classroom to ask about the incident; she did it in front of her class. There were kids in there who probably DID make fun of Richard, so I was probably lumped in with the rest of them.

If anything, I was simply being straightforward. This was a long time before political correctness was popular, too. In this particular situation, I was absolutely positive I was doing the right thing. But no. Punished for being honest because they're uncomfortable with the truth and how it's expressed.

People confuse me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.