Cigars consist of three different parts:
  • The wrapper is the outermost leaf, usually tobacco of very high quality (to increase the face value of the cigar).
  • The binder holds the filler together. The amount of tobacco in the binder varies greatly.
  • The filler is the innermost part of the cigar. It can be made from longer strips of tobacco or smaller pieces, usually bits trimmed off of wrapper leaves.
As the different parts of the cigar burns at different temperatures depending on their proximity to the cooler surrounding air, different characteristics are desirable when choosing tobacco for the different parts.

The filler should preferably be light and thin, to ensure a steady burn without emitting too much tar as it burns, whereas the wrapper and, to some extent, the binder should be more full-bodied, perhaps darker and contain more oil and sugar to provide most of the individual taste of the cigar.

The length of a cigar is commonly measured in inches and the girth is either referred to in inches or ring gauge (64ths of an inch) at the thickest part of the cigar.

Cigar sizes are grouped in facons, of which the following are commonly used:
(Exact sizes may vary. Examples takes from Davidoffs)

By storing cigars in around 70% relative humidity somewhere around room temperature, in an air-tight container, the oils in the tobacco slowly seep through the cigar, greatly improving its taste. This happens fairly quickly, usually requiring no more than a couple of weeks to achieve good results. Some cigars are packaged in a metal cylinder along with a piece of veneer from some aromatic wood like sandelwood or cedar. This has the dual benefit of providing flavor to the cigar and a strip of wood with which to light the cigar (dem so called aficionados wouldn't let an ordinary sulphur-infested match come near their prized cancer-torpedo.)