What I'd like to see in everything

I've tentatively brought this up in the ChatterBox a few times now and I think my thoughts have reached a point where it's warranted to commit them to a node. Seeing as this is personal stuff I'm putting it in here, the Day Log, the 31st of March, 2001.
In general I agree with the way this site is set up. There are improvements possible in a number of areas, granted, but my guess is that certain individuals (to name one) are working on most of the gripes and problems right now. What I'm referring to is the grand scheme, the big picture behind Everything2.

Direct linking should be made possible...

Ooohhh, here come the nasty soft links, downvotes and angry /msg's. But hear me out for a minute, will you?
What I'd like to see is a rather restricted form of direct linking1, namely direct linking to - and only to - wu's in the Log sections2 of the database.

They're there for a reason

Now, that reason may not be the one I perceive, but I'm not too picky when I can mold something to better match my own views...

How I see it, the Logs are there for noders to add stuff to the database that is personal and, therefore, does not belong in the database proper even though it is often interesting.

I can think of quite a few instances where personal experiences, thoughts or actions can illustrate3 a factual writeup and give it more depth for the reader. Flesh it out, if you will.

At the moment the only truly feasible way to add such a personal part to a writeup is to add it to the writeup in the database itself. Because if you link it to a writeup in the Day Log as it stands now, it gets drowned out by the number of other writeups in the Log that are completely irrelevant to your factual writeup. So it doesn't at the moment make sense to link between factual nodes and writeups in the Log sections4.

Why not across the board then?

The reason direct linking is not implemented in the everything2 structure is - probably - that it's not in line with the big idea behind E2. When you're searching for something, you want to be able to type a few words in the search box and get taken to a place where you can learn about what you want to learn about. But the beauty of the no-direct linking implementation is that you see all the other possible meanings of the word or phrase you were looking for. That's one of the strong points of E2 in my opinion.

But that reasoning breaks down when applied to the Log sections, now, doesn't it?

If you link to one of the Log sections, the person following your link gets taken to the complete node, with all the writeups added to the Log for that day, ranging from Fencing practice, XP woes, tired convictions, birthdays, the South Pole, ER, smoking alone, sleep, lesbian moms, ... I could go on forever. Not what you want now is it?

Enter my proposition and it all makes sense again!

Implementation?

Well, okay... Not too clear on that point yet. Which is also the reason for me not having written an e-mail regarding this to dem bones or any of the other developers yet. Or maybe I should, regardless. They might be a lot smarter than I imagine... heh.


1 With "direct linking" I mean the ability to hard link directly to one single writeup
2 i.e. Day Log and Dream Log
3 For example, my own solo writeup and my addition to the Day Log of March 8, 2001
4 Even so, I've done it and probably will keep on doing it for lack of a better solution at the moment