Compiled overview of the 80 ton Spartan 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



Just before the start of the Amaris Civil War, the Star League begun full production of the Spartan class BattleMech at Martinson Armaments on Terra. Martinson delivered 600 Spartans to the SLDF before Amaris's troops took Terra and destroyed the production facility. According to ComStar records, General Aleksandr Kerensky took fifty of the two hundred Spartans that had survived the Amaris Civil War with him during the Exodus. The last known operational Spartan, aside from those among the Com Guard, was believed destroyed during the Third Succession War.

Built as a general-service BattleMech, the Spartan is fast, mobile, and able to deliver deadly firepower at all ranges. It has a top speed of more than 86 kph, making it faster than other ' Mechs in its weight class. The Spartan's armor protection is above average, with fourteen tons of armor covering its frame. The core of the Spartan's firepower is a Kinslaughter H-Class extended-range PPC. Because of the Kinslaughter's superior workmanship and special insulating cones this model produces less heat than other PPCs. Currently, only ComStar and the Word of Blake are building the Kinslaughter. The PPC is backed by three Blankenburg Medium Pulse Lasers and two Holly SRM-2 Streak Missle Racks. The Spartan also mounts a TAG system in its left torso to help direct friendly artillery fire. To help the Spartan dissipate the tremendous heat built up by its weapons, the N2 model is equipped with thirteen double heat sinks.

The Spartan is also equipped with a McArthur anti-missile system and two tons of ammunition. During the Com Guard's battles on Tukayyid, Spartan pilots found that the placement of the anti-missile system low in the 'Mech's waist made it prone to jamming when the 'Mech ran or twisted its torso. Fortunately, technicians easily solved the problem by moving the system higher up in the right torso.

Nineteen of the known operational Spartans are deployed in ComStar's Com Guard, and a few others belong to three mercenary units. Rhonda's Irregulars has four Spartans; two mercenary units operating in the Periphery, the Black Heart Roses and the Blackstone Highlanders, have two Spartans each. All are priceless, as no new Spartans have been built in more than two hundred years.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

When refering a person, a Spartan was a Citizen of the ancient Greek city-state of Sparta. In some literary works (esp. middle ages) it has also been spelled "spartian".

Spartan, un-capitalized, is also a state of being, or a state of living. As an adjective, saying "This room is very spartan" is saying "This room us very sparse and basic". In ancient Sparta everyone of eligible age was a soldier and their life was the military, male or female. The barracks given for each soldier were very basic and to the point. It was the mode of thinking in that day and place that all a Spartan Soldier needs is the things that will allow them to be a soldier for another day. The Spartan army was not big on luxury so the saying stayed. It's not an insult, but simply saying something is plain and to the point.

When used to a person, spartan should be used in the context of saying someone is focused and self disciplined, again taken from from the ancient Spartan soldiers whose life while in the Army was the Army. Saying a person is spartan it to imply dedication, nobility and courage as of the Spartan warriors of old.

The AFV-103 Spartan is one of the CVRT (Combat Vehicle Reconnaisance Tracked) series of vehicles currently in service with the British Army, built by Alvis Vehicles Limited (UK). The other vehicles in this series are the FV (Fighting Vehicle) -101 Scorpion, the FV-102 Striker, the FV-104 Samaritan, FV-105 Sultan, the FV-106 Samson and the FV 107 Scimitar. These vehicles see operational service wherever the army goes, as they perform a mainly supportive role and are used by most arms of the service.

The Spartan is a small APC, used to carry specialised groups such as reconnaisance teams, air defence sections, mortar fire controllers and ambush parties. The Royal Engineers also employ Spartans as engineer command vehicles. With the proper preparation, the Saxon can also be made amphibious for short distances. There are currently around 450 of these APCs in service. Like the Saxon, the Spartan will probably be replaced in these roles by a new model, the multi-role armoured vehicle (MRAV), by 2005.

The armed forces of Belgium, Oman and the Phillipines also use the Spartan, with 266, 6 and 7 in service respectively.

Specs:

Length: 5.12 m
Width: 2.26 m
Height: 2.26 m
Weight: 8, 172 kg
Ground clearance: 0.35 m
Max road speed: 80kph
Road range: 483 km
Engine: Jaguar J60 No. 1 Mark 100B
Fuel capacity: 386 litres
Horsepower: 190 bhp
Crew: 3, plus up to 4 passengers maximum
Main armament: 7.62 mm GPMG (General Purpose Machine Gun)
Other armaments: Smoke Dischargers (Royal Ordnance VIRSS *)
NBC Proof: Yes
Night Vision: Yes

* VIRSS = "Visual and Infra Red Screening Smoke"


Sources:
www.army.mod.uk
"The British Army: a Pocket Guide"

Spar"tan (?), a. [L. Spartanus.]

of or pertaining to Sparta, especially to ancient Sparta; hence, hardy; undaunted; as, Spartan souls; Spartan bravey.

--

n.

A native or inhabitant of Sparta; figuratively, a person of great courage and fortitude.

<-- marked by avoidance of luxury or comfort; spare, simple; marked by self-denial -->

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.