Air is a band comprised of the dynamic duo Jean Benoit (JB) Dunckel and Nicolas Godin. They come from France, and met each other in college while playing in an indie rock band called Orange. After college Dunckel taught math and physics, and Godin pursued a career in architecture.

They continued to collaborate after graduation, and a mutual friend (a representative of Source Records) suggested that they do a track for Sourcelab 1, the first compilation released by Source Records in September of 1995. They recorded Modular Mix, which became a hit on the United Kingdom charts.

Soon after Modular Mix they recorded Cassonova 70, which was released on Sourcelab Records's second compilation, Sourcelab 2, in June of 1996. Air released their first EP, titled Premiers Symptomes, one full year later.

JB and Nicolas released several singles in the next few months, and in January of 1998 they released Moon Safari, their first full length album. Moon Safari met rave reviews and tremendous popularity in Europe, but Air's unconvential ethereal sounds produced by acoustic instruments mingled with electronic apparatus was received with less enthusiasm in the United States market.

Moon Safari prompted Source Records to re-release Premiers Symptomes in September 1999, this time with two additional tracks not on the original. Air was asked at this point by Sofia Coppola to write and perform the score to her directional debut, The Virgin Suicides, a movie based on the cult novel written by Jeffrey Eugenides. Nicolas and JB were happy to oblige and on February 29, 2000, The Original Motion Picture Score for The Virgin Suicides was released to the world.

Update: Air's new album should be out sometime spring 2001, and it features Beck on two tracks.