I was out of town this (past) weekend, in south Florida. To stay on topic, I have been at work thus far for the 8th, and nothing has happened, so I will summarize my weekend in the Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area in convenient list form.

  • The price of the ticket was dirt cheap but I flew first class. I aspire to be the pudding guy.
  • I was toting around a TCP/IP tome, which I read and highlighted the hell out of at the airports and on all fights, whence and whither. At the home base airport I bought some Goldfish and set the book on the counter while I paid. The girl said "You must work at /honker of a company/." I corrected her. "Actually, I work at /another honker of a company/." Apparently, her dad works at the first one, and has THE SAME BOOK!! Fantastic. Her dad and I must also be on the same tetherball team in a parallel universe.
  • After the plane landed in Ft. Lauderdale the woman across the aisle from me saw the book and said that her son had it, that he was 'The WAN guy.' You mean - your SON is The WAN Guy? I have all of his records! Then the portly man to her left said "A little light reading? Gonna take it by the pool?" I said something like "Yes sir - nothing like interior routing protocols and a Singapore Sling."
  • I went though a lot of photos that my mom had in a box. The ones of me were ridiculous, of course. :::shudder::: Aside from that, it was photo after photo of my young, beautiful mother, circa 1970, looking fabulous watching the bullfighters in Madrid, standing with schoolchildren in Shanghai, by a mountain somewhere in France, by Bob Hope and Mike Douglas playing golf, et cetera - to name a few. The trophy wife with a genius IQ. I decide to take more photos, and to get a trophy wife of my own!
  • They are relentless about giving you drinks in first class. I practically needed a catheter.