"To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism, to 'steal' ideas from many is research."

-Anon-



/==-==\


American Mythology-=*=- Aesop's Fables-=*=- Arthurian Mythology-=*=- Australian Mythology-=*=- Aztec Mythology-=*=- Celtic Mythology-=*=- Chinese Mythology-=*=- Christian Mythology-=*=- Egyptian Mythology-=*=- Etruscan Mythology-=*=- Finnish Mythology-=*=- Folklore Mythology-=*=- Greek and Roman Mythology-=*=- Haitian Mythology-=*=- Hindu Mythology-=*=- Hittite Mythology-=*=- Incan Mythology-=*=- Japanese Mythology-=*=- Korean Mythology-=*=- Latvian Mythology-=*=- Mayan Mythology-=*=- Mesopotamian Mythology-=*=- Native American Mythology-=*=- Norse Mythology-=*=- Persian Mythology-=*=- Polynesian Mythology-=*=- The Zodiac


--
Mythos
--

\==-==/




The Halls of the Norse Gods

Aesir: Chief gods of Asgard.
Andvari: Dwarf; robbed of gold and magic ring by Loki.
Angerbotha (Angrbotha): Giantess; mother by Loki of Fenrir, Hel, and Midgard serpent.
Asgard (Asgarth): Abode of gods.
Ask (Aske, Askr): First man; created by Odin, Hoenir, and Lothur.
Asynjur: Goddesses of Asgard.
Atli: Second husband of Gudrun; invited Gunnar and Hogni to his court, where they were slain; slain by Gudrun.
Audhumia (Audhumbla): Cow that nourished Ymir; created Buri by licking ice cliff.
Balder (Baldr, Baldur): God of light, spring, peace, joy; son of Odin; slain by Hoth at instigation of Loki.
Bifrost: Rainbow bridge connecting Midgard and Asgard.
Bragi (Brage): God of poetry; husband of Ithunn.
Branstock: Great oak in hall of Volsungs; into it, Odin thrust Gram, which only Sigmund could draw forth.
Brynhild: Valkyrie; wakened from magic sleep by Sigurd; married Gunnar; instigated death of Sigurd; killed herself and was burned on pyre beside Sigurd.
Bur (Bor): Son of Buri; father of Odin, Hoenir, and Lothur.
Buri (Bori): Progenitor of gods; father of Bur; created by Audhumla.
Embla: First woman; created by Odin, Hoenir, and Lothur.
Fafnir: Son of Rodmar, whom he slew for gold in Otter's skin; in form of dragon, guarded gold; slain by Sigurd.
Fenrir: Wolf; offspring of Loki; swallows Odin at Ragnarok and is slain by Vitharr.
Forseti: Son of Balder.
Frey (Freyr): God of fertility and crops; son of Njorth; originally one of Vanir.
Freya (Freyja): Goddess of love and beauty; sister of Frey; originally one of Vanir.
Frigg (Frigga): Goddess of sky; wife of Odin.
Garm: Watchdog of Hel; slays, and is slain by, Tyr at Ragnarok.
Gimle: Home of blessed after Ragnarok.
Giuki: King of Nibelungs; father of Gunnar, Hogni, Guttorm, and Gudrun.
Glathsehim (Gladsheim): Hall of gods in Asgard.
Gram (meaning "Angry"): Sigmund's sword; rewelded by Regin; used by Sigurd to slay Fafnir.
Greyfell: Sigmund's horse; descended from Sleipnir.
Grimhild: Mother of Gudrun; administered magic potion to Sigurd which made him forget Brynhild.
Gudrun: Daughter of Giuki; wife of Sigurd; later wife of Atli and Jonakr.
Gunnar: Son of Giuki; in his semblance Sigurd won Brynhild for him; slain at hall of Atli.
Guttorm: Son of Giuki; slew Sigurd at Brynhild's request.
Heimdall (Heimdallr): Guardian of Asgard.
Hel: Goddess of dead and queen of underworld; daughter of Loki.
Hiordis: Wife of Sigmund; mother of Sigurd.
Hoenir: One of creators of Ask and Embla; son of Bur.
Hogni: Son of Giuki; slain at hall of Atli.
Hoth (Hoder, Hodur): Blind god of night and darkness; slayer of Balder at instigation of Loki.
Ithunn (Ithun, Iduna): Keeper of golden apples of youth; wife of Bragi.
Jonakr: Third husband of Gudrun.
Jormunrek: Slayer of Swanhild; slain by sons of Gudrun.
Jotunnheim (Jotunheim): Abode of giants.
Lif and Lifthrasir: First man and woman after Ragnarok.
Loki: God of evil and mischief; instigator of Balder's death.
Lothur (Lodur): One of creators of Aske and Embla.
Midgard (Midgarth): Abode of mankind; the earth.
Midgard Serpent: Sea monster; offspring of Loki; slays, and is slain by, Thor at Ragnarok.
Mimir: Giant; guardian of well in Jotunnheim at root of Yggdrasill; knower of past and future.
Mjollnir: Magic hammer of Thor.
Nagifar: Ship to be used by giants in attacking Asgard at Ragnarok; built from nails of dead men.
Nanna: Wife of Balder.
Nibelungs: Dwellers in northern kingdom ruled by Giuki.
Niflheim (Nifelheim): Outer region of cold and darkness; abode of Hel.
Njorth: Father of Frey and Freya; originally one of Vanir.
Norns: Demigoddesses of fate: Urth (Urdur) (past), Verthandi (Verdandi) (present), Skuld (future).
Odin (Othin): Head of Aesir; creator of world with Vili and Ve; equivalent to Woden (Wodan, Wotan) in Teutonic mythology.
Otter: Son of Rodmar; slain by Loki; his skin filled with gold hoard of Andvari to appease Rodmar.
Ragnarok: Final destruction of present world in battle between gods and giants; some minor gods will survive, and Lif and Lifthrasir will repeople world.
Regin: Blacksmith; son of Rodmar; foster-father of Sigurd.
Rerir: King of Huns; son of Sigi.
Rodmar: Father of Regin, Otter, and Fafnir; demanded Otter's skin be filled with gold; slain by Fafnir, who stole gold.
Sif: Wife of Thor.
Siggeir: King of Goths; husband of Signy; he and his sons slew Volsung and his sons, except Sigmund; slain by Sigmund and Sinflotli.
Sigi: King of Huns; son of Odin.
Sigmund: Son of Volsung; brother of Signy, who bore him Sinflotli; husband of Hiordis, who bore him Sigurd.
Signy: Daughter of Volsung; sister of Sigmund; wife of Siggeir; mother by Sigmund of Sinflotli.
Sigurd: Son of Sigmund and Hiordis; wakened Brynhild from magic sleep; married Gudrun; slain by Guttorm at instigation of Brynhild.
Sigyn: Wife of Loki.
Sinflotli: Son of Sigmund and Signy.
Skuld: One of several Norns.
Sleipnir (Sleipner): Eight-legged horse of Odin.
Surt (Surtr): Fire demon; slays Frey at Ragnarok.
Svartalfaheim: Abode of dwarfs.
Swanhild: Daughter of Sigurd and Gudrun; slain by Jormunrek.
Thor: God of thunder; oldest son of Odin; equivalent to Germanic deity Donar.
Tyr: God of war; son of Odin; equivalent to Tiu in Teutonic mythology.
Ull (Ullr): Son of Sif; stepson of Thor.
Urth: One of several Norns.
Valhalla (Valhall): Great hall in Asgard where Odin received souls of heroes killed in battle.
Vali: Odin's son: Ragnarok survivor.
Valkyries: Virgins, messengers of Odin, who selected heroes to die in battle and took them to Valhalla; generally considered as nine in number.
Vanir: Early race of gods; three survivors, Njorth, Frey, and Freya, are associated with Aesir.
Ve: Brother of Odin; one of creators of world.
Verthandi: One of several Norns.
Vili: Brother of Odin; one of creators of world.
Vingolf: Abode of goddesses in Asgard.
Vitharr (Vithar): Son of Odin; survivor of Ragnarok.
Volsung: Descendant of Odin, and father of Signy, Sigmund; his descendants were called Volsungs.
Yggdrasill: Giant ash tree springing from body of Ymir and supporting universe; its roots extended to Asgard, Jotunnheim, and Niffheim.
Ymir (Ymer): Primeval frost giant killed by Odin, Vili, and Ve; world created from his body; also, from his body sprang Yggdrasill.


      Glossary:

A

Aegir
Aesir
Alaisiagae
Alberich
Alfheim
Alfrodull
Andhrimnir
Andvaranaut
Andvari
Angrboda
As
Asgard
Asgardreid
Ask and Embla
Astrild
Asynjur
Audhumla

B

Balder
Balmung
Bergelmir
Berserks
Bifrost
Bor
Bragi
Brunhilde
Buri
Bylgia

C

D

Dagur
Disen

E

Edda
Einherjar
Eir
Elli

F

Fenrir
Forseti
Freya
Freyr
Frigg

G

Gangleri
Garm
Gefion
Gerd
Ginnungagap
Gjall
Gladsheim
Gna
Gotterdammerung
Gullveig

H

Håvamål
Heimdall
Hel
Helheim
Hermod
Hlin
Hod
Holler
Honir
Huginn and Muninn
Hymir

I

Idun

J

Jarl
Jord
Jormungand
Jotunheim
Jotuns

K

Kari
Karl
Kvasir

L

Laga
Landvaettir
Lif and Lifthrasir
Lofn
Loki

M

Magni and Modi
Mani
Midgard
Miming
Mimir
Mimir
Mjollnir
Mundilfari
Muspell

N

Nidhogg
Niflheim
Nine worlds
Njord
Norns
Nott

O

Odin

P

Q

R

Ragnarok
Ran

S

Saga
Sceaf
Sif
Sjofn
Skadi
Sleipnir
Snotra
Sol
Surt
Svadilfari
Svalin
Syn

T

Thiazi
Thor
Thrall
Thrud
Tyr

U

Ull
Utgard

V

Valhalla
Vali
Valkyries
Vanaheim
Vanir
Var
Ve
Vidar
Vili
Volsunga Saga
Vor

W

X

Y

Yggdrasil
Ymir

Z


back to
Mythos

As a general rule of thumb, Norse myths are inconsistent at best. There are frequent inconsistencies with spelling, as well as the chronology of events, and the genealogy of characters. In some versions of the same myth, Sigemund killed the dragon Fafnir. In other versions of the same myth, it was Sigemund's son, Sigurd who killed Fafnir. According to certain texts, Heimdall has nine biological mothers and no father; whereas in other texts, he has a more traditional pair of biological parents of opposite gender. These inconsistencies arise because there was no one author who wrote the myths, but rather they are a compilation of myths that were told by spoken word. This can best be described by the "whisper down the lane" effect.

The greatest difference between Norse myths and Greek myths is that Greek myths are about winning whereas Norse myths are about losing with honor and dignity. Norse myths have a much more fatalistic view of the world. Valor is not measured by how well a hero triumphs over evil, but rather how much he resists evil in the face of adversity.

Norse myths are very cool and are interesting to compare to other myths. However, if you are looking for consistent, up-beat myths, you should look elsewhere.

The French idiom, ce n'est pas la mer a boire, translates roughly to "it is not the sea to drink", an expression meaning that a certain task or situation is not as burdensome and punishing as one may first percieve it to be. This may be a reference to the Nordic myth in which Thor, known as Þór, and Loki travel to Utgard, or Útgarð, the land of the giants, enemies of the gods. On the way there, they encounter a giant by the name of  Skrýmir, who travels with them and leads them to the fortress of the giants, held by the giant Útgarða-Loki and his men. The giant Skrýmir keeps stashes the food of the travelers in his own pack out of generosity, but then when Thor attempts to open the pack. After struggling with it, Thor gets so frustrated that he smashed Skrymir over the head with his hammer Mjollnir (typical Thor) , but the giant remains unscathed. Laden with fear and caution, the travellers avoid the giant for the remainder of the journey.

As they journeyed, the neared the giant's stronghold. Skrymir advised them to keep their pride to themselves, as Utgarda-Loki and his men would not tolerate it. Thor feels insulted at this demeaning comment, but Skrymir heads to the north without a farewell. The travellers walked east towards the stronghold, and eventually reached its gates, where they were able to slip through and enter the great hall. There lounged Utragda-Loki and his men, and Thor greeted him with courtesy. The giant lord claimed that only those who could prove their skill were worthy of staying in the stronghold. 

Loki proclaimed that no one could eat faster than he could. Logi the giant was his challenger in an eating contest, where they both ate their way through a trencher of meat and met in the middle, starting at either end. Loki ate all of his meat, but Logi ate the meat, the bones, as well as the trencher. Logi was declared the winner.

Thor proclaimed that no one could drink more than he could. In response to this, Utgarda-Loki gave him an enormous drinking horn, and said that even the weakest could drain it in three swallows. Thor gave three enormous gulps, and the level in the horn dropped, but it remained full. Thor returned the horn to Utgarda-Loki, who belittled him for his lack of might. In response, Thor accepted more challenges: lifting the giant lord's cat, which he could not manage, and wrestling the giant lord's old wet-nurse, who caught him off-guard and brought him to one knee.

The gods were teased for their failures, but were nevertheless allowed to stay in the hall for the night, and were treated with hospitality. When it was time for them to leave, Utgarda-Loki spoke with Thor outside of the hall in private.

The giant lord informed Thor that he had been tricked, and that his true might would have been the end of the giants, had they not avoided it. For the giant lord Utgarda-Loki was the same giant who had escorted them on their journey, Skrymir. The blows that Thor had attempted to land on Skrymir were narrowly dodged, and great chasms were left in the landscape where Thor had smashed it. The giant Logi who Loki had lost to was fire itself, and it consumed all that was put in front of it. The bottom of the horn that Thor had drunk from was connected to the sea, and Skrymir told them that when they returned to it, they would see how Thor's swallows had lowered it. The cat Thor attempted to lift was the Midgard serpent Jormangandr, and when Thor lost to the wet-nurse, he had been fighting old age herself. And everyone loses against old age in the end.

Thor attempted a final attack on the giant, but he disappeared before Mjollnir made contact. Thor was left gazing at the beautiful landscape.

So when you feel overwhelmed with your own struggles, remember that they could always be the work of mysterious and belittling giants, tricking you in order to conceal your true might.

Or they could just be smaller than they seem. Ce n'est pas le mer a boire.

 


Source: look here[link] for some interesting drawings of giants in thigh highs and Thor trying to lift a long-ass cat

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.