In baseball, a grand slam is a home run while the bases are loaded.

In tennis, the four grand slam events are: the Australian Open, the French Open, Wimbledon and the US Open.

At Denny's, a grand slam is a breakfast (served any time!) with eggs, pancakes, sausage and bacon.

One of the original 1982 set of G.I. Joe 3 3/4" action figures. He had protective red padding like the Flash figure and was unarmed. He was sold with the HAL (Heavy Artillery Laser]. In 1983, a Grand Slam with silver padding was sold with the JUMP (Jet Mobile Propulsion Unit) jet pack. (The previous year, the JUMP was sold with no action figure included.)

1982 filecard:

LASER ARTILLERY SOLDIER

Code Name: GRAND SLAM

File Name: Barney, James J. SN: RA379541044
Primary Military Specialty: Artillery
Secondary Military Specialty: Electronics Engineer Birthplace: Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin Grade: E-5
Grand Slam received initial training in conventional artillery and served with a 155mm battery. Graduated: Special Weapons School (Top of Class). Specialized Education: Artillery School; Advanced Tech School, Qualified Expert: M-16; M-1911A1; "HAL" Heavy Artillery Laser.
"He’s soft-spoken and calm – just a bit shy. Intelligent. Loves to read escapist fantasy (science fiction and comic books)."

Comic book appearances:
* G.I. JOE: #1, 3, 4, 6, 8, 11, 17, 19, 59, 82, 130

Filecards and information from http://www.yojoe.com

Transforms from cassette to tank and back!

AUTOBOT: GRAND SLAM

FUNCTION: AUDIO CORRESPONDENT
"The sounds of war are history speaking."

War-weary veteran of ten thousand battles on a hundred worlds. Dedicated his life to recording the sounds of the Autobot-Decepticon conflict: the nervous laughter, the cries of pain, the blistering explosions, the chilling quiets. Hopes his work will one day serve as a grim reminder of the awful price of war. Can audio-record up to 20 years of sound. Armament is purely defensive: smoke discharger combines with dual repulsors. With his partner Raindance, combines to form Slamdance.

  • Strength: 6
  • Intelligence: 8
  • Speed: 3
  • Endurance: 8
  • Rank: 4
  • Courage: 9
  • Firepower: 3
  • Skill: 7
Transformers Tech Specs


Grand Slam provided the audio, his partner Raindance the video. Like his partner, Grand Slam only went from cassette to vehicle and didn't have any kind of robot mode until they combined together.

In men's golf, the four major tournaments that make up the "grand slam" are The Masters, U.S. Open, British Open, and PGA Championship.
No one has ever won all four in the same year. However, Tiger Woods won the last 3 majors in 2000 and the 2001 Masters, thus becoming the first person ever to have the championship of all four majors at the same time. Some have taken to calling this a "Tiger Slam".
In addition to Woods, Ben Hogan, Gene Sarazen, Gary Player and Jack Nicklaus have won all 4 majors in their careers

The women's golf grand slam is the U.S. Open, LPGA Classic, Dinah Shore Classic, and the du Maurier Classic. Louise Suggs, Mickey Wright, Pat Bradley, Juli Inkster, and Karrie Webb (updated: 6/24/01) have all won the grand slam in their careers (Suggs and Wright won the Western Open and the Titleholders tournaments, which were majors at the time instead of the Dinah Shore and Du Maurier).
Starting in 2001, the du Maurier is being replaced as a major by the Women's British Open.

In a natural progression from their Single, Double, and Triple hamburger deals, Wendy's offers a Grand Slam which is, you guessed it, four big slabs of beef on a bun, with full fixin's (and quarter pound patties*, no less)!

This full pound of meat doesn't appear on the menu, probably because it violates a whole bunch of health regulations. The end result is more filling than a Double Big Mac, and has to be wrapped in double the foil due to the sheer volume of grease it exudes. Mmmm, I can feel my arteries hardening just thinking about it.

*Net wt. before cooking.

The phrase "Grand Slam" was originally coined by New York Times columnist John Kieran in 1933. Concerning Australian tennis player Jack Crawford's chances of winning the American Championships (now called the US Open) after having already wrapped up Australia, France and Wimbledon, Kieran, a bridge player, said "If Crawford wins, it would be something like scoring a grand slam on the courts, doubled and vulnerable."

Nowadays, the term "True Grand Slam" is used to describe the winning of all four major tennis tournaments in a single calendar year. The four tournaments - the US, French, Australian and British (Wimbledon) Titles are known on their own as Grand Slam titles. A player who wins all four in their career is said to have achieved a career grand slam.

People who have achieved a True Grand Slam:

People who have achieved a Career Grand Slam:
The reason this list is so short is because many players, particulary in the men's game, fail to win one particular tournament, perhaps due to the surface being incongruent with their playing style. For example, Ken Rosewall, Guillermo Vilas, Ivan Lendl, and Mats Wilander all failed to capture the Wimbledon title, while John Newcombe, Jimmy Connors, Boris Becker, Stefan Edberg and Pete Sampras never could win the French Open. Roger Federer (world #1 2004-2008) is yet to win the French Open. He won 3 out of 4 in 2006 (see Rafael Nadal), and must win the French Open at some point if he is to complete a "career grand slam".


" Source
www.wikipedia.org

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.