WARNING! RAMPAGING SPOILERS! SURRENDER NOW OR PREPARE TO FIGHT!


Title: World War III, Part III
Release Date: February 2000
Writer: Grant Morrison
Penciller: Howard Porter
Inker: John Dell
JLA Members: Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Aquaman, the Martian Manhunter, Plastic Man, Zauriel, Huntress, Oracle, Orion, Barda, and Steel.
Guest Stars: Metron, Aztek, Mister Miracle, and Sturmer.
Bad Guys: The new Injustice Gang (Lex Luthor, Prometheus, the General, and the Queen Bee), Mageddon, and a Remote Sender.
Cameos: Guy Gardner, Hourman, Sentinel, the Flash (Jay Garrick), Starfire, the Elongated Man, Zatanna, Supergirl, Firestorm, the Demon, Superboy, the Red Tornado, Wonder Girl, Green Arrow, the Ray, Raven, Nightwing, Blue Beetle, Booster Gold, Hawkgirl, Hitman, Black Canary, and I don't know who all else...

So what happens?
Thanks to the influence of the ancient Mageddon weapon, the whole world is going to war, and the Justice League is fighting desperately to stop the Injustice Gang. Green Lantern's ability to use his power ring has been destroyed, and one of those grody Remote Senders is using Lex Luthor as its host. Orion and his giant attack dog, Sturmer, are able to help Superman fight the General--Orion and Sturmer chase the General into the Phantom Zone.

Elsewhere, Batman and Prometheus are battling each other again. This time, the fight is much less one-sided--Batman is getting his share of licks in and is able to rewrite the information on Prometheus' neural CD drive to erase his martial arts programs and imprint motor neuron disease onto the villain's nervous system. Unfortunately, even partially paralyzed, Prometheus is able to transport himself and, by accident, Huntress back to his house in the Phantom Zone.

Back on Earth, the superheroes of the world are gathering to try to take control of the chaotic situation. Aztek appears on the scene--he was somehow able to get himself into Mageddon and has been blinded. In Gotham City, Metron visits Oracle to give her a Mother Box to replace her wrecked computers. And in New York City, the Queen Bee and her drones are building a hive complex, but Plastic Man has a plan that involve sneaking himself, Wonder Woman, Barda, and a Boom Tube Generator into the hive. What's his plan? Next issue, okay?

Back in the Watchtower, a combination of the Martian Manhunter's telepathic probing and Green Lantern's taunting induce Luthor to throw off the control of the Remote Sender. J'onn discovers that the Watchtower has been booby-trapped--he, Superman, and Batman evacuate into the Phantom Zone, while Green Lantern gets Luthor off the moon in a Martian jumpship. Zauriel stays behind, and his mortal shell is destroyed when the bombs destroy the Watchtower.

Cool Moments!
Green Lantern discovering Lex Luthor encased in the Remote Sender; Batman beating Prometheus; Plastic Man, handed a Boom Tube Generator by Barda, takes on an appearance similar to comic artist Jack Kirby's drawings--Kirby created Barda and the rest of the New Gods.

Cool Quotes!
Newscaster, preparing to blow his brains out on live TV: "We're all dead, don't you see? This is all just the beginning. All dead! Here is the news. May God forgive me."

Batman to Prometheus, before delivering the knockout punch: "I just rewrote the information on your disk. I wiped the martial arts and gymnastics programs. Your nervous and muscular systems are now being imprinted with the physical characteristics of one man...Professor Stephen Hawking!"

Huntress to Batman, after the fight: "Did I see you cheating?"
Batman: "Winning. First time I ever hit a man with motor neuron disease."

The General, after Superman asks why he's doing this: "Why? Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'"

Green Lantern, trying to get Luthor to throw off the Remote Sender's influence: "Luthor, you're being outsmarted by a giant eyeball!"

Back | Index | Forward

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.