what are endorphins?

endorphins are opiate-like neurotransmitters that are secreted by special cells located within the brain. these chemicals stimulate certain neurons, which in their turn disrupt messages from the pain receptors. regular opiates such as morphine are chemically very similar to the endorphins and will therefore activate the same pain-inhibiting neurons.

is there evidence?

naloxone, a drug know to inhibit the effect of morphine and similar opiates has been shown to block the pain alleviation normally produced by acupuncture.

let's get high!

endorphins are also produced by the brain during physical activity (ie. a runner's high). exercise or physical exertion may be a good way to better your mood.

Endorphins are your body's natural painkillers.

Your body's pain transmitters, incidentally, are really pretty clumsy, and don't pay too much attention to subtlety-- they just kind of run full blast, caring about nothing but just getting the signal through. This isn't a problem at all because of the endorphins-- endorphins are chemicals that sit around in the gap between the pain transmitters, get in the way, and muffle pain. You have a steady baseline of this stuff that keeps things like touching your keyboard from being unbearable, and whenever serious pain starts to happen for some reason-- say you scab your knee-- your brain gives off big concentrations of the endorphins to keep the pain from being counter-productive.

Opiates (morphine, heroin, popium, codeine, methadone), the worlds' most effective painkillers, are effectively pseudo-endorphins; they fake the structure and function of endorphins, only on a much grander scale, and the body reacts as if they were real endorphins. Endorphins are named after morphine and not the other way around because morphine was discovered first. (see "endo-")

endorphins (singular, endorphin): the general term to refer to all of the body's own endogenous morphinelike substances. In chemical structure, they are neuropeptides. They are active as neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. See also neuropeptide; neurotransmitter; enkephalin; obsolete terms: endomorphins; singular, endomorphin.

Dictionary of Sexology Project: Main Index

Endorphin, aka Eric Chapus, is a leading Australian electronic and dance music artist.

Discovered in Cairns in late 1998 by Triple J as part of their Unearthed program to discover and expose new Australian music to the public.
Before becoming famous as Endorphin, Eric was the bass player for an experimental industrial band who would play chainsaws, angle grinders and arc welders on stage, while poetry was being read.

After his discovery by Triple J, Endorphin recorded his first album: Embrace. Recieving wide acclaim for this album he moved onto touring with local festivals such as Homebake, Hemespheres and the Turn up your Radio tour as well as supporting for Moby during his Australian tour.

His second album, Skin, was released in 2000 by Sony. According to the marketing blurb, this album 'reflects his relocation from far North Queensland to Sydney's urban heartland.' Whatever sentiment the album expresses, it did it well enough for Endorphin to pick up the Best Album award at the 2000 Australian Dance Music Awards.

The third album, AM:PM, has just been released. This double CD encompasses both sides of Endorphin's music: the AM CD is a laid back, mellow album: perfect for listening in the lounge room. The PM CD contains much more of the high-energy dancefloor music.

Discography:

Embrace: 1998
Skin: 2000
AM:PM: 2001

Endorphin is the pseudonym of Australian DJ Eric Chapus. A fact which shocks some, getting responses such as "Endorphin's a he? Wow!! I always thought Endorphin was a band."

Eric Chapus was born in France in 1962, and was influenced by the diverse way in which he was brought up: French born, Moroccan bred, Indian fed. As a child, Eric set sail to encounter the world with his mother. He moved to Australia in 1984, and settled down to live in Kuranda, North Queensland. It was there that he developed his creativity and talent for unusual music, as the bass player for an experimental industrial band called Godzilla in the Mist. The band put poetry to music made with a variety of instruments, including angle grinders, and chainsaws.

Endorphin was Unearthed in Cairns at the beginning of 1998 when the ambient, trip hop track 'relapse' caught the attention of Triple J. Shortly after being discovered Eric was signed by Sony, and selected to support Portishead for their April tour. In June he astounded critics with the release of his debut album.

Embrace sold in excess of 15,000 copies, and was a luxurious new sound amongst the Australian rock offerings of the time. The album was seen as a landmark in the field of Australian electronic music, and in the same month of its release Endorphin managed to secure himself a support spot for Massive Attack.

Endorphin took peoples breath away in November 1999 with his second album Skin. Released a mere year and a half after Embrace, it was widely successful, which prompted a re-release in January 2000 to cope with growing demands. The masterpiece which is Skin, was born through 18 months of frantic creativity for Eric. It startlingly reflects his move from Queensland to urban Sydney to live with his girlfriend, and 3 year old daughter Zoe. The album was widely acclaimed by both the dance music industry, and mainstream media. This led to Skin winning Album of the Year at the 2000 Australian Dance Music Awards, and Endorphin being nominated for Best Male Artist at that years ARIA Awards.

In the two year lead up to his next album Endorphin kept busy. Headlining concerts and tours around the country. Playing festivals such as Homebake and Hemespheres. He began scoring for the screen with the international extreme sports documentary Adventure World. And also created the musical score for Next Wave, a new 13 part National Geographic documentary. Endorphin was commissioned by the up and coming ABC drama Head Start, to create a re-mix of the 1979 Mi-Sex hit 'Computer Games'. And his success did not stop there. His music has appeared on movie soundtracks such as 'Looking for Alibrandi', which included not one, but three Endorphin tracks.

Endorphin emerged as a highly sought-after remixer, choosing to work with artists as varied as Sunk Loto, Spiderbait, Stella One Eleven and Frenchman Ugo Farrell. He has also scored some international artists including Ibiza’s DJ Jose Padilla, who introduced Eric to a world wide audience by including the chilled 'Satie 1' on the sixth volume of Cafe del Mar, which sold more than half a million copies worldwide.

He then proceeded to shock critics by releasing his third album... Two CD's. A double fix of Endorphin for your listening pleasure. Both CD's are brimming with the hypnotic and enchanting sounds we now come to expect from Endorphin. AM:PM was released in October 2001, and was a raving success. Tracks from Endorphin's amazing third album can be heard in clubs across Australia.

Endorphin weaves theatrical magic for the dancefloor with his live performances. Along with his longtime dancer, Ivan Medel, Eric has evolved an electronica show which explodes in bursts of energy and dazzles with mindblowing visuals, movement, light and sound. Through adding DJ Archie and a mysterious female stiltwalker, he has kept the fans guessing, and managed to create a buzz which continues to win new Endorphin converts.

The speed of Endorphin's success definitely reflects the quality of his music. Prior to the release of his second album, he had already toured with some of the biggest global names in electronic music. Along with Massive Attack, and Portishead, come names such as Faithless and Moby. And in 2001 he was listed as one of the headling artists for the Australian leg of the Gatecrasher music festival. You'd think that success like that would change a person. Not Eric. He remains very much focused on the two loves of his life. His family, and of course music.

Endorphin's music is a beautiful eclectic mix, which ranges from French house, to heavy trip hop beats, and is constantly leaving his fans thirsty for more. MORE!!! And we're bound to hear more from this musical genius. The next phase of Endorphin’s career however is certain to take his music into international territories. There are release and touring plans for Europe on the drawing board. Eric is looking forward to performing the live show which has won him so many accolades here in front of new audiences. Look out world, here comes Endorphin. So, sit back. Kick back. And embrace the passion, intensity, and fragility which is Endorphin.


Discography

Embrace - 1998 - Sony

Skin - 1999/2000 - Sony

AM:PM - 2001 - Sony

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.