An Independent Women's Forum success story. Heard Linda Tripp's Monica Lewinsky tapes before Ken Starr did, the how-and-why not fully explained. One of the more obsessively on-message "Bill Clinton = Antichrist" voices on the airwaves; like the others, she's reticent about discussing the full chain of events that compelled a president to testify about his sex life. Old gigs: the libertarian-theocrat Federalist Society (w/Starr ties) and the anti-ACLU Center for Individual Rights.

In addition to Ann's rabid hate-on towards liberals, she has another target that she paints with a broad brush: Muslims.

As mentioned before, Ann drew controversy for saying in her 9/14/01 article that "(the United States) should invade their countries (the countries of radical Islam), kill their leaders, and convert them to Christianity". At first, the editors at National Review Online explained away Ann's sweeping generalization as a cathartic exercise, as she had lost her friend Barbara Olson in the WTC attacks. However, the next week, Ann wrote another article in which she claimed that profiling at U.S. airports should focus on "swarthy-looking males". When her editors at NRO confronted her about this, she called them a bunch of "nancy boys", and she was dropped like a hot rock.

Ann's hatred towards and vast generalizations of Muslims have yet to cease. In a 9/6/02 article titled "Murder for Fun and Prophet", Ann claimed that Muhammad, spiritual founder of Islam, was a demon-possessed pedophile, citing the Satanic Verses and his child bride as evidence (never mind the fact that the Qu'ran makes a clear difference between what came from God and what came from Satan, and that the practice of taking a prepubescent bride was a part of Christian life in the Middle Ages). When the DC snipers were arrested, Ann wrote an article asking why the media was not drawing more attention to the fact that the snipers were Muslim (in a later article, Ann actually called the sniper killings a "terrorist attack").

Was a frequent guest on Bill Maher's Politically Incorrect. One night she happened to share the bill with Gilbert Gottfried and Arianna Huffington (back when she was a conservative). For some reason, the Barbie doll was under discussion, and Coulter repeated the oft-cited statistics about Barbie ("If she was the size of an average woman..."), ending by saying that no living woman looked anything like the doll. Huffington immediately pointed out that Coulter was as much like the doll as anyone could be, which had the amazing effect of shutting Coulter's mouth.

Later, Huffington managed to quiet Coulter by saying that she (Coulter) and Gottfried should get married: "You'd make a perfect couple, because you both have a talent for irritating people."

Amongst the media hysteria following the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center, Coulter came up with an editorial for the National Review (it was also syndicated) dated 14th September 2001, of such rabidity that one suspects she will either be arrested, or given an award.

It took the form of an obituary for Barbara Olson, wife of the US Solicitor General Ted Olson and passenger on the ill-fated American Airlines Flight 77. After diverting through her standard attack on Bill Clinton, who Coulter seemed unwilling to accept was no longer president, she launched into a rant against immigrants and airport security, her argument being that increased airport security would be ineffective due to the fact that it is currently ineffective, and if this state of ineffectiveness was increased it would etc. It culminated in a declaration that:

"The airport kabuki theater of magnetometers, asinine questions about whether passengers "packed their own bags," and the hostile, lumpen mesomorphs ripping open our luggage somehow allowed over a dozen armed hijackers to board four American planes almost simultaneously on Bloody Tuesday. (Did those fabulous security procedures stop a single hijacker anyplace in America that day?)

Airports scrupulously apply the same laughably ineffective airport harassment to Suzy Chapstick as to Muslim hijackers. It is preposterous to assume every passenger is a potential crazed homicidal maniac. We know who the homicidal maniacs are. They are the ones cheering and dancing right now.

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war."
-Ann Coulter, 2001

-

As it turns out Coulter was neither arrested nor given an award; her relationship with the National Review was severed at the end of October, although FrontPage magazine picked her up immediately afterwards. Her follow-up column argued that passports should be compulsory for flights within the US in order to filter out 'swarthy-looking males'.

The National Review's explanation:
http://www.nationalreview.com/nr_comment/nr_comment100301.shtml

A short listing of quotes from Ann Coulter... thanks to The Washington Monthly. Sometimes it's best to let someone speak for themself.


"[Clinton] masturbates in the sinks."
---Rivera Live 8/2/99

"God gave us the earth. We have dominion over the plants, the animals, the trees. God said, 'Earth is yours. Take it. Rape it. It's yours.'"
---Hannity & Colmes, 6/20/01

The "backbone of the Democratic Party" is a "typical fat, implacable welfare recipient" ---syndicated column 10/29/99

To a disabled Vietnam vet: "People like you caused us to lose that war."
---MSNBC

"Women like Pamela Harriman and Patricia Duff are basically Anna Nicole Smith from the waist down. Let's just call it for what it is. They're whores."
---Salon.com 11/16/00

Juan Gonzales is "Cuba's answer to Joey Buttafuoco," a "miscreant," "sperm-donor," and a "poor man's Hugh Hefner."
---Rivera Live 5/1/00

On Princess Diana's death: "Her children knew she's sleeping with all these men. That just seems to me, it's the definition of 'not a good mother.' ... Is everyone just saying here that it's okay to ostentatiously have premarital sex in front of your children?"..."[Diana is] an ordinary and pathetic and confessional - I've never had bulimia! I've never had an affair! I've never had a divorce! So I don't think she's better than I am."
---MSNBC 9/12/97

"I think there should be a literacy test and a poll tax for people to vote."
---Hannity & Colmes, 8/17/99

"I think [women] should be armed but should not [be allowed to] vote."
--Politically Incorrect, 2/26/01

"If you don't hate Clinton and the people who labored to keep him in office, you don't love your country."
---George, 7/99

"We're now at the point that it's beyond whether or not this guy is a horny hick. I really think it's a question of his mental stability. He really could be a lunatic. I think it is a rational question for Americans to ask whether their president is insane."
---Equal Time

"It's enough [to be impeached] for the president to be a pervert."
---The Case Against Bill Clinton, Coulter's 1998 book.

"Clinton is in love with the erect penis."
---This Evening with Judith Regan, Fox News Channel 2/6/00

"I think we had enough laws about the turn-of-the-century. We don't need any more." Asked how far back would she go to repeal laws, she replied, "Well, before the New Deal...[The Emancipation Proclamation] would be a good start."
---Politically Incorrect 5/7/97

"If they have the one innocent person who has ever to be put to death this century out of over 7,000, you probably will get a good movie deal out of it."
---MSNBC 7/27/97

"If those kids had been carrying guns they would have gunned down this one [child] gunman.... Don't pray. Learn to use guns."
---Politically Incorrect, 12/18/97

"The presumption of innocence only means you don't go right to jail."
---Hannity & Colmes 8/24/01

"I have to say I'm all for public flogging. One type of criminal that a public humiliation might work particularly well with are the juvenile delinquents, a lot of whom consider it a badge of honor to be sent to juvenile detention. And it might not be such a cool thing in the 'hood to be flogged publicly."
---MSNBC 3/22/97

"Originally, I was the only female with long blonde hair. Now, they all have long blonde hair."
---CapitolHillBlue.com 6/6/00

"I am emboldened by my looks to say things Republican men wouldn't."
---TV Guide 8/97

"Let's say I go out every night, I meet a guy and have sex with him. Good for me. I'm not married."
---Rivera Live 6/7/00

"Anorexics never have boyfriends. ... That's one way to know you don't have anorexia, if you have a boyfriend."
---Politically Incorrect 7/21/97

"I think [Whitewater]'s going to prevent the First Lady from running for Senate."
---Rivera Live 3/12/99

"My track record is pretty good on predictions."
---Rivera Live 12/8/98

"The thing I like about Bush is I think he hates liberals."
---Washington Post 8/1/00

On Rep. Christopher Shays (d-CT) in deciding whether to run against him as a Libertarian candidate: "I really want to hurt him. I want him to feel pain."
---Hartford Courant 6/25/99

"The swing voters---I like to refer to them as the idiot voters because they don't have set philosophical principles. You're either a liberal or you're a conservative if you have an IQ above a toaster."
---Beyond the News, Fox News Channel, 6/4/00

"My libertarian friends are probably getting a little upset now but I think that's because they never appreciate the benefits of local fascism."
---MSNBC 2/8/97

"You want to be careful not to become just a blowhard."
---Washington Post 10/16/98

"We need to execute people like John Walker in order to physically intimidate liberals, by making them realize that they can be killed, too. Otherwise, they will turn out to be outright traitors."

Conservative political pundit, best known for outrageous statements and over-the-top invective, much of it detailed in writeups above.

Coulter was born in New Haven, Connecticut on December 8, 1961. She graduated from Cornell University, where she founded the "Cornell Review," and received her law degree from the University of Michigan Law School, where she served as the editor of the Michigan Law Review. She had a private practice in New York City, served as a clerk on the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and worked for the Senate Judiciary Committee. She was also a litigator with the Center for Individual Rights.

Coulter is the legal correspondent for "Human Events," writes syndicated columns for Universal Press Syndicate and for David Horowitz's TownHall.com website (she used to write for the National Review Online, but got fired after her post-9/11 column called for an invade-kill-and-convert response), and is a regular guest on a wide variety of talk shows. She has written multiple books, if you care to count openly fascist word salad as worthwhile reading material. 

Coulter is... well, let's be at least a little polite and call her odd. I can't really tell if she believes all the stuff she writes or if she's just a flack junkie, spouting off crazy rants and opinions because it will get her attention. Her columns denounce liberals in cartoonishly broad strokes, and it seems clear that she considers herself to be the true benchmark of political and moral thought -- if you disagree with her, you're evil and a liberal and a homosexual (the words are synonymous in Coulter's thesaurus). She says that you can't argue with Democrats because they only respond with invective, abuse, and lies, then responds to all criticism with invective, abuse, and lies. She hates Bill Clinton with astounding and unrelenting ferocity -- much more than your average conservative pundit. She is, frankly, the partisan Democrat's wet dream -- her opinions appear to line up perfectly with the stereotypical and mostly mythical Evil Heartless Hate-Filled Republican Antichrist Mofo -- and perhaps not coincidentally, since she also seems to believe in the stereotypical and mostly mythical Evil Heartless Hate-Filled Democrat Antichrist Mofo. Her second book, "Slander" was widely praised in the mainstream media for her extensive footnoting, but other researchers have shown that many of the footnotes she cited did not actually support the points she was making in the text.

Though Coulter has her share of fans, there are a number of conservatives who don't like her. She has been booed at conservative conferences and firmly rejected as a Congressional candidate by the Libertarian Party, and was even described as a "PR-hungry, free-swinging pundit" by National Review Online editor Jonah Goldberg, who also said that "like with a Fellini movie, the deeper you get, the less sense Ann makes."

Whether she really believes all the stuff she says or is just showing off for the TV cameras, Coulter is a poor advocate for the conservative cause. Like all partisans and fanatics, her arguments promote a small-minded view of both her own party and of the opposition and, in fact, rely on a good-vs.-evil worldview that has no connection to the real world. Coulter is the intellectual equivalent of a professional wrestler -- loud, flashy, belligerent, illogical, and entertaining -- and as long as she keeps bringing in the ratings, the talk shows will continue to book her as a guest.

Probably the worse news for Coulter is that as her looks fade and the rest of the Republican Party embraces levels of fascism that far outstrip her ability to top, she's gotten less interesting to the GOP faithful, who are more likely to view her as a weak-willed liberal -- or more disastrously for her career, boring.

http://www.anncoulter.com
http://www.anticoulter.com

One of those people you either love or hate, there is little middle ground when it comes to Ann Coulter's views. At one time she was one of the 20 Most Fascinating Women in Politics, selected by the magazine George. Coulter is loudly outspoken and has views that some of the conservative side of politics dislike.

Ann is a graduate of Cornell University and the University of Michigan Law School. While at the University of Michigan, Coulter was articles editor of the Law Review. After graduating she worked for Senator Spencer Abraham as legal counsel when he served on the Senate Judiciary Committee. Coulter has also served as an attorney for the Department of Justice. Her time spent at the Justice Department was under the Honors Program for outstanding law graduates. It was during this time that she defended legislation on child pornography.

Ann has also worked for the United States Court of Appeals, where she was a clerk for Pasco Bowman II. After that, she worked for several law firms in the New York City area specializing in First Ammendment issues. Coulter has written various articles as well on freedom of religion and the restrictions placed on it by the government.

Before she published her first book, High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton, Coulter worked for the Center For Individual Rights. This center is a group that works on freedom of speech issues, civil rights problems, and also cases involving the free exercise of religion.

After publishing her first book, she has gone on to write two more and in turn has appeared on almost every news show, including Good Morning, America, Politically Incorrect, and Larry King Live, along with numerous appearances on the Sean Hannity Show.

Her current books include


  1. High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton

  2. Slander: Liberal Lies about the American Right

  3. Treason


Information taken from www.amazon.com, http://www.anncoulter.org/bio.html http://www.yaf.org/speakers/ann_coulter.html and http://conservativechronicle.com/columnists/coulter.htm. Also there are plenty of anti-Coulter websites out there, just Google for them.. Also if you really interested you can have a talking Ann Coulter doll, http://tinyurl.com/ws64

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.