RPGers

Venerable members of this group:

passport, Tiefling, sabby, VAG, abiessu, sleeping wolf, atesh, Sofacoin, kalen, werejackal, dodo37, in10se, Myrkabah, Kit, RoguePoet, Uri E Bakay, Akchizar, Johnny, timgoh0, androjen, greth, Ysardo, Clockmaker, Aerobe, OldMiner, Kizor, Jet-Poop, Dr.Jimmy
This group of 28 members is led by passport

Undermountain? Ah, yes. A great place to have fun, the most famous battlefield in which to earn a reputation as a veteran adventurer-and the largest known mass grave in Faerun today. - Elminster of Shadowdale

Background: Real world

Undermountain is a dungeon situated underneath the city of Waterdeep, to be found the Forgotten Realms campaign setting for AD&D. It wasn't too big to start with. Well, not as big as it is now. It was the first dungeon published for the Realms, way back in 1975, and in 1991 there was a boxed set called The Ruins of Undermountain, containing the main areas of the first three floors. A second set called The Ruins of Undermountain II: The Deep Levels contains the next three or four levels worth. This is not a marketing ploy to sell more modules - this dungeon is BIG.

Background: Game
Probably what you came here for, right?

There was once a powerful wizard named Halaster, a legendary figure said to have begun many traditions among wizards and to have invented some of the spell processes still used today. He travelled off to gain some solitude for his magical research, as mages are wont to do. He travelled with seven apprentices to Mount Waterdeep, at the time a desolate place, and summoned extraplanar creatures to build him a tower circled by a wall, within which were fields and gardens. The apprentices tended the fields and studied in their own towers just inside the wall, seldom seeing their master.

Cutting himself off from human contact and dealing so often with strange creatures was not too good for Halaster. He started to get what we would call "weird". He had his summoned servants dig tunnels and store rooms and laboratories underneath his tower, a work which continued for decades. Eventually they broke through into the halls of a vanished Dwarf clan. This underground realm was overrun by the Drow, who Halaster exterminated, claiming this area as his own.

Halaster now took to living underground, and when his apprentices examined his tower they found it to be full of traps and enticing messages, luring them below. One by one they ventured down there, only to find monsters and traps left by their now mad master to defend himself from intruders. After two less able apprentices died he appeared to the rest and asked them to join him there and aid the defense of his home.

Halaster moved ever deeper into the mountain, leaving the upper floors as an amusing run of traps as he went deeper beneath the earth. He started to collect unusual monsters from unknown places using gate spells, and left them roaming the halls. His apprentices took areas of the deeper levels as their own private strongholds and worked on their own spells, most going as mad as, if not madder than, Halaster.

Today the dungeon lies beneath the largest city in the land and is often entered. The way in is no secret, one of the first adventurers to trek through the dungeon returned to the surface and tore down the remains of the tower, building an inn on top of it. The pit that people descend sits in the main taproom, with a waist-height wall. The landlord makes a nice sideline profit by charging adventurers one gold peice per head to decend into the depths of Undermountain.

Not many come back.

Ways in, Ways out

Besides the main pit in The Yawning Portal there are many ways into the dungeon. Halaster dosn't mind people having easy access to his dungeon, it just means he gets to watch more people die.

There are many ways in through the sewers of Waterdeep, though most of these are controlled by various groups - usually criminal ones. There are two known staircases, one controlled by the city guard and the other by a slave trader.

On top of the more commonplace ways in and out there are magical methods of entry: Halaster himself seems to enjoy putting gate spells in far-off reaches of the Realms to bring explorers from far away in to his dungeon, and most notable of all is the mirror in Myth Drannor which brings people to random places in Undermountain, linking two of the most famous locations for adventure together.

Traps and Hazzards
Or: Ways to kill parties off fast

Among the more conventional role playing game problems of large quantities of monsters trying to kill the heroes off its best to watch out for:

Unexpected Teleporters: These sometimes send you somewhere you don't want to be. Oh, and don't get any funny ideas about teleporting out of the dungeon, Halaster isn't stupid. Only his spells can teleport people around the dungeon. You were so keen to get in there and want to leave already? Tsk Tsk.

Halster's Apprentices: Don't mess with them. They are tough, and all are unhinged, appart from Trobriand (Though messing with him usually results in him finding where you live and sending some iron golems around to knock your house down in the night). Other notable people to run away from are Arcturia, who enjoys polymorphing people she dislikes, and Muiral, who also tried to improve his form as Arcturia did, except he failed and now lives as half human, half spider (If you've seen The Mummy Returns you know exactly what to expect).

Traps: But not just any traps. Some of the ones the writers pre-built are downright evil. Trapped in a sealed room with rising water? Nah, too easy. Lets throw in a bunch of fishmen, a psychic fish and some marine ghouls. A trapped door? No simple little poisoned needle or rock over the door. Trapped doors in undermountain start out mean and get meaner, culminating in a door with a wraith trapped inside. Direct contact, as usual, drains a level. Wear gloves or let someone else open the doors.

Game Structure

The actual playing of Undermountain is a big job. The Dungeon Master has a huge task just getting the whole thing ready, as the maps are largely left empty and waiting to be stocked. In the first boxed set the first map is roughly 1/4 full, the lower levels are even more empty than this. I managed to get just over 80 rooms on the first floor filled in with encounters, and I started the game with most of the dungeon left empty. After two or three sessions the party was about five rooms away from an empty area, so I could just have kept going with the direction they seemed to be taking.

Rather than running an Undermountain campaign as a straight dungeon crawl it's probably better to use it as a setting for many adventures. You can have someone go missing from the city, and hey! What do you know! They happen to be in Undermountain.... I guess someone should go down there and get them back. A thief can steal something from a party member, and guess where they hide out? Thats right....

On top of these little encounters the party could get involved with the more powerful groups already written into the campaign setting, such as the beholder who runs a slave trade on the third floor, near Skullport. Did I mention there's a whole city under there? With a huge winch for raising ships from the Sargauth to the sea above? "What's the Sargauth?" you say? It's a big river, deep under Waterdeep. I told you this dungeon was big.... You have a lot of possibilities, so go crazy.

It's what Halaster would want....

Over a dozen years ago, William Schnoebelen wrote Straight Talk on Dungeons and Dragons1, an article claiming to prove that D&D is a ploy to attract young people into Satanism and the occult. The author backs up these claims by citing himself as an expert in Satanism, but there's a simple logical flaw in his argument - he's not an expert in D&D, not by a long shot.

Take this quote as an example:

"Now, the question becomes—if a person "innocently" works an authentic ritual that conjures up a demon, or curses someone; thinking that they are only playing a game-might not the ritual still have efficacy?"

Schnoebelen fails to realise the difference between "actual" satanic demon-summoning rituals, and fictional creature-summoning in a game. For those of you not familiar with D&D, let me explain how a player might go about "summoning a demon".

Player: "I cast summon monster v, to summon a quasit."
DM: "A small, horned creature appears in a flash of fire, and charges at your enemy with his claws flailing."2

Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see how merely stating that a fictional game character takes a certain action, can make it true in the real world. (If it was, we would see huge red-skinned trident-wielding monsters rampaging through our cities.) Nobody who knew D&D could fail to make this distinction. The result? Schnoebelen quite literally doesn't know what he's talking about.

He goes on to state that the D&D rules give Adolf Hitler as an example of a person with high Charisma. This is true, if I recall correctly, at least for earlier versions of the D&D rules. However, fuzzy logic creeps in when Schnoebelen uses the Hitler reference to prove that D&D promotes evil values. In reality, the game does not actually suggest that players take Hitler as a role-model - it merely states that Hitler was persuasive and a natural leader, which is what D&D Charisma represents.

One of the most vicious rumors about D&D is that it has caused players to go nuts and kill themself. The article perpetuates this rumour, giving a list of D&D players who reportedly killed themself or others because of the game. This evidence might hold water, except that there's often little or nothing actually connecting the deaths to D&D. (After all, Adolf Hitler was a Christian - does this prove that he was a good person, or that all Christians are murderers?) There is of course, a more logical reason.

It's an unfortunate fact that each year, thousands of depressed, misunderstood teenagers take their own lives. Often, these people are social outcasts - the ones who get picked on at school by the popular kids for being different. Coincidentally, this same demographic of social outcasts make up much of D&D's teenage playerbase (the "cool kids" play sports, not roleplaying games). Statistically, therefore, teenage D&D players are slightly more likely to commit suicide than their well-adjusted popular counterparts - and it's got nothing to do with the game itself.

Schnoebelen is looking at D&D from the point of view of someone well-versed in the occult, and so he's taking the game out of context. Magic, curses and demon-summoning all mean different things to a true occultist than they do to a gamer - where an occultist performs actual rituals which he believes to be magical, a game player merely rolls some dice, knowing clearly that the game is fictional. An interviewer could ask an occultist to explain how a certain magical ritual is performed in great detail, but at a D&D game the player has no such knowledge, able only to say "My character casts a maximized fireball, dealing 60 points of damage".

In his enthusiasm, Schnoebelen seems to have glossed over the distinction between player and character, the most basic concept of any role-playing game. Sounds to me like he was too busy freaking out after finding all those "demons" in the Monstrous Manual.

sabby writes to remind me that William Schnoebelen also writes for Chick Publications, the organization that publishes the Dark Dungeons anti-D&D booklet. See also: Chick Tracts.

1 http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp
2 Yes, I know it takes a full round action to cast summon monster v, affording the caster's enemy one round in which to act before the spellcasting finishes and the quasit appears, which is significant because if said enemy deals damage to the caster it forces him to make a difficult concentration check which if failed means that he loses the spell and is unable to finish casting or cast the spell again until he prepares it again the next day. I'm just not pedantic.

Introduction

The Nintendo Entertainment System (and its Japanese twin, the Famicom), gave rise to a staggering variety of RPGs. During the platform's lifetime (1983-1995), legendary dynasties were born (the Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest and Zelda series), ports of famous PC (Ultima, Might and Magic, Wizardry, Bard's Tale, King's Quest) and arcade (Rygar, Gauntlet) titles made cameo apperances, and franchises rushed to cash in (AD&D, Robin Hood) on the action. Games of startling originality and craftsmanship were produced (look at Crystalis or Solstice), as well games so bad as to be mind-boggling (take Heroes of the Lance, for example). In short, it was a period of wild experimentation and the trial and error formulation of genre conventions.

The study of the RPGs from that period is interesting on several levels. Nintendo Entertainment System RPGs hold high nostalgic value for those who discovered console RPGs during that time, and a thorough listing and exploration of those games allows closure, in a certain sense. From a scholarly, game designer's perspective, that period is interesting in that the lessons learned from those experiments influenced the design of many of the later console roleplaying games, for more advanced systems.

Translations

Due to a number of unfortunate reasons, a large portion of Nintendo RPGs were released only in Japan. However, by the heroic efforts of the emulation community, and we're talking insane amounts of time, effort, money and bandwidth, many of those games lost to us English speakers can now be experienced, in the form of translated and patched ROMs. In a way, the emulators and translated ROMs serve as a way to unify the two platforms (NES and Famicom); Japanese RPGs have been included in this list in that spirit of unification. While the list below contains all of the RPGs officially released in the US (to my knowledge, anyhow), the listing of translated games is necessarily incomplete. As more translations become available, or if you find a translated ROM and message me, those titles will be added to the list.

On Classification

Any attempt at listing all the RPGs for a particular platform must necessarily deal with the question of "What exactly is an RPG?" Where does one draw the line between RPGs, and the various intersecting action, adventure, puzzle, and strategy genres? This particular list draws from the discussion at classifying CRPGs, and uses the categories from CRPG types.


NES RPG List, Alphabetical by Category

Classic (Traditional) RPGs

Game Title * -- Japan release only, but translated/patched by the emulation community
Traditional RPG Totals: 17 US releases, which includes 8 ports of PC titles.

Action RPGs

Type I Action RPGs
(RPGs with an action element, explicit stats, and advancement through experience points)

Game Title * -- Japan release only, but translated/patched by the emulation community

Type II Action RPGs
(RPGs with an action element, explicit stats, and character advancement through power up items or in-game actions other than killing enemies)

Type III Action RPGs
(RPG-flavored games, with a strong action element, no explicit stats (save the life meter), and advancement through better weapons, armor and equipment). Their status as RPGs is highly debatable, and most people consider these to be simply action games with strong RPG elements.

Tactical RPGs

Game Title * -- Japan release only, but translated/patched by the emulation community

Strategy RPGs

Also widely known as historical strategy- or war-games.

Related Game Genres with RPG elements

Puzzle Games

Graphic Adventure Games

Miscelaneous games with RPG elements

Unclassified

I haven't been able to figure out which RPG category these games fall into. Some of these might not be RPGs at all. Msg me with suggestions or information.

Japanese RPGs

(Untranslated at the time of writing. If you find a translated version, drop me a line.)


Primary Sources:

  • Playing each game long enough to classify
  • GameFAQs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/)
  • Internet NES Database (http://dod.hpi.net/ivgdb/)
  • NES Shrine at RPGClassics (http://www.rpgclassics.com/database/system.php?system=NES)

Thanks and credits go to:

  • amib for suggestions on restructuring the categories.
  • Many others for tips and heads-up.

1.1 Are gorillas the same as bears?

No. Gorillas are not the same as bears. Many people assume that there are no differences between them, or the differences are very subtle. While both make great pets and are often seen living together harmoniously, bears have different tax obligations than gorillas and gorillas tend to be generally different from bears. These differences lie in dissimilarity and the fact that they are not the same.

1.2 Are there different types of bears?

Yes. The different types of bears include many.

1.3 Do bears come in different colors?

Bears do vary in color. There is the "Brown" bear, the "Black" bear, the "White" bear, and other bears whose colors cannot be determined by name. Some of these colors include off-white, gray, tan, beige, red-orange (a burnt sienna), and various shades of red; most often "blood" red if the bear has recently been eating.

1.4 Are the noises I hear coming from my basement a bear?

Hard to tell from my perspective. Call a professional bear killer before attempting to shoo it out with a broom. Also, listen for bear noises or send your dog into the basement, wait a while for scuffles, then call your dog. If the dog returns it may or may not be a bear.

1.5 What do bears eat?

Bears eat fish and honey.

1.6 Are bears from Ursus americanas?

No, but thats a great question, and a funny one. Bears are Ursus americanas. Confused? I thought so. Let me explain: Ursus americanas is the latin nomenclature for the American Brown bear.

1.7 Are any states named after bears?

Actually, yes. Florida, Alaskan, and American are all states named after bears. Did you know?: Europe was named after the European Bear.

1.8 Do bears taste good?

Generally bears taste great. Any bear will tell you this. Bears prefer only honey and humanity to bear flesh. This is one reason bears often gnaw on themselves. To the human experience, Cinnamon bears and Honey bears are the best tasting, at least on the outside. Dirty old men typically prefer minty tobacco taste of the Kodiac bear. Warning, do not try to lick a live bear unless he looks harmless. It is best to lick the cleaner parts of a roadkill bear.

2.0 Are bears friendly?

This varies from bear to bear. A good motto to keep in mind is "If I were to touch that bear, would he really care? If I think he may, I probably shouldn't stay. If I think he won't, I'll touch him in the scrote." Go with your insticts.

2.1 What should I do if I come across a bear in the wild?

The best thing to do is notify him of your presence by throwing rocks at him, aiming for his head and face. Yell and shriek both high and low pitched noises and be anything but still while doing this. This will let the bear become gradually accepting of your being there and he will then decide if you are threatening or not and thus he can make decisions about your future while not feeling panicked or a sense or urgency.

2.2 What should I do if I come across a bear in the city?

In this situation, the bear is undoubtedly someone's pet or escaped from the zoo. Therefore, he is not going to hurt you. If you can catch him, do so and call the number on his tags. Otherwise honk your horn, shout at him, or prod him. He will then play with you until his owner or a zoo keeper comes.

2.3 What is the bear's place in society, can they be plumbers?

In human society, bears have many roles: entertainment, manual labor, and others. Yes, bears can be plumbers, and in fact generally have better customer satisfaction ratings than human plumbers. This is based on a plumbing survey taken in 1998 (J.D. Power and Associates). However, as they say: "A plumber is only as good as his tools," this is also true for bear plumbers only for this case they say, "A bear plumber may kill you and attempt to to replace you in your role in your household and is only as good as his tools."

2.4 Are any of my relatives bears?

If you yourself are a bear, then it is decidedly such that you do have bear relatives. In this case consult your local branch of the library to learn more about your family tree. If you are not a bear but still curious as to the answer to this question, talk to your relatives, as they may know. There is a chance you are related to a bear or many bears, though this varies among different families. A good hueristic for finding out on your own is observation. Try listening in on conversations: listen for loud grunts or "roars". Look for panic and fear of family members: look to see if those in your family seem uneasy around certain other family members, or are constantly moving slowly while carrying fish and honey to appease the relative. Look for excessive hair or a black nose: this is a good hint to the nature of your relatives. Remember: Male and Female Pattern Baldness is not solely a human ailment, do not let this be a characteristic to lead you to believe falsities as to the nature of your uncle Ursus.

How to Start a Gaming Group: A Quickstart Guide

  1. Learn a gaming system.
    Go to your local gaming store, and browse till you find a game you are interested in. Purchase the necessary rulebook(s) for the game, if you don't already own them. Review the book in detail, and learn the rules thoroughly. Try playtesting the game with parents or close friends to make sure you have the rules down, and can handle the pace of the game. If the game seems too complicated, or you find it doesn't interest you as you thought it would, try returning the rulebooks to the bookstore/gameshop or selling them on eBay. Repeat this step if necessary.

  2. Decide if you know enough about the game to be in charge of a group. If you feel very comfortable with the rules, or you have a lot of prior experience with the game, you may wish to become the gaming group's leader. Be sure you know the rules well enough to handle common disputes without having to reference the rulebooks.

  3. Hunt for players. There are three main ways to find players for your group:

    1. Friends who play- Kind of obvious, but go talk to your friends first. Some might be interested, some might not. If they are, let them borrow your rulebook to learn the story. If they are interested, you probably know enough about them to skip the next step.

    2. Put up posters and hand out flyers in public gaming places. To find gaming stores, try looking through your local phonebook, or ask friends who might know. For flyers, you can print up something out of Microsoft Word or a print publishing program. Try to make the game look enticing and entertaining. Have fun with the design, and use lots of adjectives and pictures. Often, the game box/rulebook will have a well-written intro that you can paraphrase to put on the flyer. Try not to use too many words, because no one will stop to read a huge page of text. At MOST use 75 words. Do not, under any circumstances, go over that amount. Another idea, if you do not have access to a publishing program (or cannot operate one) is to make indexcard-flyers by hand. Draw up a mock card, and then just copy it by hand with pen and colored pencils, markers, etc. On the flyers and posters, it is important to include the following information: (you can play with the wording to fit your needs)

      • I am looking for adventurers interested in taking part in a gaming group based around {GameX}

      • As a player, you will have the opportunity to.... (and then list the perks of the game)

      • The optimal player:

        1. (age range)- keeps kids old enough to play, and weeds out 7 yr olds and 50 yr olds.
        2. (gender, optional)- Some group leaders prefer to play with only their gender, others don't care. Your choice.
        3. "is a creative thinker and can adjust to change rapidly"
        4. "collaborates well with others"- hopefully to keep away those that start fights or don't handle group situations apropriately.
        5. "is interested in having a fun time, and a leisurely group activity"- some people take the games too seriously, and put too much emphasis on winning over having fun. (Then again, there is no "winning" in roleplaying games!)
        6. "mature"- self explanatory. No whiners, fight-starters, or jerks.
        7. "is willing to express opinions publicly"- No use in having shy people that just say "ok..whatever you want....", they don't add much to the group.
        8. "lives near (your hometown), and can get transportation to group meetings"- do NOT post your address yet. Only let the person have your phone number.

      • Please call the group leader, (your_name_here), at 1(555)555-5555 on weekends or 5-9 on weekdays to sign up. (try to make your phone number large, so it stands out, as well as the game title)

    3. Use internet forums. There, post similar information to what you put on your flyers in the previous step. Note- By using an internet forum, you will probably recieve few results that are in your immediate area. If you use this option, know that you may have to run the whole campaign over the internet in a chatroom/messenger service. This is a different experience, and not suggested unless you have run a campaign in person already.


  4. Collect information from possible candidates. As they call you, interview them. Get a feeling for their vocabulary (which can a good basis for judging intelligence), as well as if you feel you could get along with them easily. Ask them some questions to get them to talk to you, and monitor their responses. In between or after the interview questions, get some basic information out of the person to make sure that they fit the range you set on the flyer. What to look for depends on the game you want to play, but these are some general pieces of information:

    1. Experience playing the game (if any)- It might be helpful to have one or two experienced players in the group. If everyone is new, it can lead to confusion at times when no one knows the right rule.

    2. Location- A street address is needed. That way, you know where your players are if one has trouble with transportation and needs a ride. Also, get their telephone number so you can call them back. If this is an internet-based game, get their e-mail address and a general area so you have a feeling for the group's makeup.

    3. Time they can play- Try to see if you can do it on weekends (if you have them free), because that will enable you to play a good portion of the day. Set the group meetings for 4+ hours, so that you have enough time to really get into the game before everyone has to leave.

    4. Age- Self explanatory

  5. Review your candidates. Before you start, select a number of players that you think you can comfortably handle and lead at once. For roleplaying games, I suggest keeping this number 7 or lower (including you). Think about possible extremes (ie- everyone talking at once, arguments where the group splits into two sides, etc.), because that is when your leadership abilities will be stretched to their maximum. If you think you can handle more than 7, feel free to do so. Just know that it is bad form to invite many people, and then find out you have to vote them out once they have already been to a session or two.

  6. Systematically vote off candidates until you have the number remaining from step 5. Remember to include yourself in this count. Keep the information for the other candidates nearby, because in the event that one player drops, you can go back to the pool and call someone else. Often, it is easier to pick out a few that really impressed you, and then choose the rest by cutting the worst off one by one.

  7. Contact the chosen players. Tell them when you have set up the first meeting, and where you live. Try to make the date a week or more away, so they have time to prepare. Also, inform new players of where to get a copy of the rulebook that they can read about the game before the first meeting.

  8. At the first session:

    • Make a point of informing everyone that you will be in charge. Don't sound like a tyrannical dictator, but be sure that it is understood that you are arbitrator, god, and friend all in one. The players should see you as a friend, as well as respect your authority. It is your job to keep the group in order and civilized.
    • Introduce players to one another. Be very observant when they meet, and keep an eye out for players that don't appear to like each other. No matter how nice they sounded on the phone, you still might end up with a homophobe and a gay player, or a racist and an african-american player (no offense), and they will lead to big problems if they cannot get along. If you see this happening, speak to the two privately, and try to start them on friendly terms.
    • Set the ground rules for the group:
      1. Absolutely no fighting should happen at any meeting. Period. Anyone who breaks this rule should be expelled instantly. In the event of a physical dispute (not necessarily at the first meeting), try to get the whole group's opinions before you decide who should be booted. Maybe both of the fighters don't have to leave, if one of them was the cause of most of the damage. Policies on swearing, alcohol consumption, and smoking during the gaming session should be decided by group consensus.
      2. Bringing friends: This is your call. There are times when you might want to involve other people (friends of yours or the players), and there are times when you don't. Have players speak to you before they invite friends, and interview the friend personally to see if they fit the group's standards. In the event that they are immature or do not fit your requirements, speak to the player in private and tell them firmly that the friend does not suit your needs at this time. This is not a time to use the "There are too many people already" excuse, because this only postpones the problem.
      3. Set up regular meeting schedules. Amongst the group, decide on a time when you can all meet together on a regular basis (weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly).


  9. Have fun!




Back to the How To List